Home Made Jockey/miracle Box For Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_HOME_BREW_WALLACE_

Professional Drunken Yahoo!
Reaction score
I'm about to invest in a keg system. 3 kegs blah blah. I only have enough room for 1 keg in the fridge at a time but want 3 beers on tap. I have seen the Esky Jockey boxes and wondered if i could do the same in my beer/drinks fridge.

I was thinking about using 3 x 15m-20m lengths of beer line coiled up in an old 20L fermenter filled with a salt water mix, bulkhead fittings. Bung the assembly in the fridg..... and just keep the 3 kegs on the outside of the fridge.

Thoughts??

You might need two regulators, as the warm kegs will need to be on a much lower pressure.

My first camping Magic box had 10 Metres of beer line
In the bottom of an esky with ice
Worked well for a couple of pots at a time not much more
And the carbonation didn't change as the beer was cabonated at cold temps
Kegs were at warm ambient summer temps when served

nearly cheaper to buy another fridge i reckon

i bought a sweet 500L one last weekend for $50
it's so nice i don't really want to drill holes in it for the 4 taps....
but i am going to have to :)

nearly cheaper to buy another fridge i reckon

I'm thinking of power consumption and space more of cost. If swmbo let me have another for my kegs i'd be over the moon, but I have to alos think about living in a confined space (suburban townhouse, 3 kids.....)

can understand your plight ;(

i mean to buy another fridge and sell your current one (if it's the beer fridge)

i was thinking by the time you buy the beer line, and all the little bits you need to seal and set up the "miracle box" in the fridge it will be about the same as buying a fridge

every little trip i make to bunnings / brew shop is seeming like another $100 these days :(

Wallace - I have a solid block miracle box heat exchange thing which I was about to put up for offers.

It's yours if you want it.

I've seen these sell for $100+ each. This one has some corrosion but doesn't seem to affect the plate. I'll take a photo if you're keen. Very similar to http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=882769

-EDIT-
Offers from nothing up are likely to be accepted ;)

I could be wrong but I don't think it will work the fridge doesn't get cold enough to chill the beer quick enough. like has been said what ever has been sitting in the line will be cold. What would work is glycol in the freezer circulated over coils in the fridge.

I could be wrong but I don't think it will work the fridge doesn't get cold enough to chill the beer quick enough. like has been said what ever has been sitting in the line will be cold. What would work is glycol in the freezer circulated over coils in the fridge.

Deal with magic boxes on a daily basis - just bout to set up 12 taps worth at our pub. Won't work, you need the plate offered. Also brined water will struggle after a few beers. Home fridges are static, ie the convection to cool is really slow. You would be better to make your own ice and change this around in the box, you should drain a magic box as you use it, the beer is cooled and ice melts, the water is warmer and build up, affecting the chilling capacity of the plate and then end up with foamie beer. Hence the brined solution if you are pouring a bit will get warmer and take ages to cool.

With warm beer set your beer a 220 and away you go too ...

Deal with magic boxes on a daily basis - just bout to set up 12 taps worth at our pub. Won't work, you need the plate offered. Also brined water will struggle after a few beers. Home fridges are static, ie the convection to cool is really slow. You would be better to make your own ice and change this around in the box, you should drain a magic box as you use it, the beer is cooled and ice melts, the water is warmer and build up, affecting the chilling capacity of the plate and then end up with foamie beer. Hence the brined solution if you are pouring a bit will get warmer and take ages to cool.

With warm beer set your beer a 220 and away you go too ...

So do the evaporator coils need to be in the coolant for an effective heat transfer?

As my father always reminds me
"you know what water is... Hot Ice!"

If the fridge had a freezer you could maybe put the coil in there in glycol but still not 100% sure it would work.

Cheers

Robbo

Hey Parks,
Tried to reply to your PM, but you inbox is full and can't receive any more mail!

Fear.

Back