Home Made Headmaster Glasses?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichLum

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has tried this or knows whether it definitely will or won't work...

I was wondering today whether if you got a normal glasss and put some of that glass etching paint (that gives the glass a frosted look and makes it a bit rough) on the bottom of the glass and then washed it off once it had done its stuff would the result have a similar effect to the sand blasted bottoms of Headmaster glasses?
ie. help to release CO2 from the bottom

I used to have one of those kits when I was a kid and may even be able to dig it up somewhere round my parents place. Otherwise I think you could buy the stuff at a toy or craft store

thanks,
Rich

very interesting idea rich.
have often wrestled with my demons at after work drinks, a little man in my head pleading with me to just take one of those headmaster glasses home and give it a run with the HB.
let me know how you go, or maybe someone knows where you can buy these. The only problem is that I don't like the standard pot glass shape....I'm very fussy about what challice I sip from.
Your little experiment could solve both of my problems.

make a beer that holds a head instead of a glass that generates one.
thats what its all about here isnt it? making good beer? good beer holds a head.

i can brew a beer that holds a decent mm or two but I think that a glass like this may help to get a cm of cream that lingers down to the empty glass.
worth a try i reckon

Bobby said:
make a beer that holds a head instead of a glass that generates one.
thats what its all about here isnt it? making good beer? good beer holds a head.
Well I have a couple of headmaster schooners from my younger days and the beers I pour into them hold their head all the way to the bottom.
If I used a "normal glass" the head is gone within 3-5 minutes with just a thin layer of bubbles round the edge of the glass.

I noticed the official Chimay glasses have an engraved Chimay logo which is intended to help release CO2

Sandplaper might be an easier thing to try...

thanks,
Rich

When I worked at a pub back in the 80,s we use to use an electric drill to score the bottom of new beer glasses before being washed and then put in use, publican reckoned it was an old trick to keep the beer gassy after it was poured. It .worked

hmm, sounds a bit risky to me you definately dont want a gut full of glass powder. one left to the proffesionals i reckon.

or try and engrave the bottom of the glass with an electric engraver but i rather do a descent brew using fresh grains and have no head retention problems

Im going to give it a go with my dremel today.. I was thinking about this for last few weeks

I'd like to recommend better brewing practices that will lead to better head retention rather than 'pub tricks'.
Try cooler ferments, less or no sucrose/dextrose/glucose, hop boiling, adding specialty grains or a partial mash.

Forcing the CO2 out of the beer also leads to a prematurely flat beer, Chimay beers are very high in alcohol and head retention will therefore be poorer.

tdh

tdh

I have two glasses that I bought together a few years ago. One will bubble quite nicely, the other is as flat as a tack. I have tried cleaning with various solutions (bottle cleaning solution, dairy power defender etc) and washed well with hot water afterwards. Still no good. I think this is a case for doing something to the bottom of the glass so it will at least bubble.

Cheers
Pedro

Hi,
I have used a small sand blaster of the type that you use for descaling metals.
You get these for use with a small home type compresser that you will find in the hardware stores.
I slipped a piece of PVC pipe inside the glass to protect the sides and a quick blast is all that is needed with dry sand for a good result.
Make sure you wear eye protection.
Cheers

Pedro, chuck the glass out and get the beer to bubble and form a decent head! :)

Sorry, they're all full of finely carbonated ESB supporting a tight white head foam!

tdh

Sounds like dane needs to come to the rescue of a few people, with finely crafted, AHB logo'd glasses (weizen for me please).

This maybe a little wierd, but I got told by one of my bosses about a trick they use in the US, being to add 4 uncooked grains of rice to the glass :huh:

I tried it last night on a brew which is carbonated fine, but doesn't hold a head, and it worked a treat :D

Just dont try it on a overcarbonated brew, tends to create a head that grows like a monster.. :angry:

This maybe a little wierd, but I got told by one of my bosses about a trick they use in the US, being to add 4 uncooked grains of rice to the glass
The first time I had a hefewiesse in Germany I spotted the barman putting something in the glass...asked him what it was- a few grains of rice, to keep the head. The Co2 bubbles collect on them, the rice floats to the top and leaves the bubbles there, constantly replenishing the head.
Works well. The beer doesn't go flat any quicker.
Also got a slice of lemon in it, but that's for flavour.

I can imagine it now.. Drinking beer at a fast rate. then chockin on a few grains of rice

Back