Home Brewing Heros

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devhay

Reaction score
Anyone heard much about this yet, or better yet applied? Haha I saw it pop up on Facebook over the weekend.. apparently Australia's first home brewing reality show

Doesn't seem to be much info on the website, curious to see how they go about it and what sort of brewing they will actually be doing

https://www.homebrewingheroes.com.au/

A reality show about home brewing.. doesn't a reality show's basis require some drama?

I guess yeast autolysis is pretty dramatic

grott said:
Or perhaps the introduction of a wild yeast from a crotch breeding area.
Terrible :lol:

Seriously, this sounds like the fun of home brewing minus the satisfaction of drinking a good beer. What's left? Watching the mash? Cleaning?

It'll be like Masterchef.

Lots of tears, suspense and strategically placed ad breaks.

Honestly I don't see it taking off - brewing involves a bit too much science for the typical reality TV show fan.

I dunno - all the cool kids with ss conicals fighting with the jonny-come-latey fermentasaurus users, all looking down on the bunnings fermenter users. Fist fights over all grain v extract. :ph34r:

Seriously though - the limited info on the website seems to suggest they're looking for "character" rather than brewing ability. Sounding a bit too much like it'll end up being Home Brewing Wankers.

I'd be interested in seeing it take off, but if it were to work it'd depend largely on character. I wonder if brewers could have a few schooeys while they compete though - I dunno about you guys, but that's practically a staple for me when I brew. It explains the majority of my f*ckups. I doubt they'd be permitted to drink while brewing on the show though, in avoidance of the nanny brigade

If you want drama just start a debate about whether or not to re-hydrate yeast or whether or not no-chilling causes botulism.. :lol:

There's a good three seasons' worth of content on this site. And a spinoff season or so worth of content that's been hidden/deleted by the admins..

The 'drama' parts will be relationship based;

Episode #1 - John's wife Sharleen berates him about using her good measuring jug and pesters him to move all his brewing crap into the shed.

Episode #2 - Sharleen conveniently forgets to pick up seal caps on the way home from shopping leaving John with a dilema.

Episode #3 - John sneakily orders a conical fermenter, emptying the savings account.

Episode #4 - John and his brew buddy Barry have a falling out over what style to brew next.

This stuff writes itself!

Or will it be more technical based drama, in the style of Mythbusters or such.

I'd probably watch either.

Yeah it definitely seems like it'll be based on the same old My Kitchen/House/Llama Rules type reality show with a bit of drummed up drama to keep the general public interested.. would be cool to see a bit of all grain 3V action and some lesser known beer styles on TV, but I can't see it taking off

Episode #5 - John has a nervous breakdown when his brew gets infected just before he's supposed to be supplying beer for Barry's wedding.

Episode #6 - Sharleen divorces John, because "all he ever does is bloody beer stuff"

You're absolutely right Stouter, seasons and seasons ready to go!

DU99 said:
long as there not "professionals"..actual Home Brewers
The professional brewers will be off camera. When it looks like someone is going to stuff their brew completely, they stop filming, let the professionals come in and fix it up, then go back to filming to show how the contestant miraculously averted a disaster.

At least that's apparently what happens on a certain reality cooking show...

DU99 said:
Episode #7 ....The element dies half way thru a brew and the car rego arrives at the same time......
:lol:
Can't get more genuine a situation than that.
John - "Ahh well, looks like the car's just gonna have to go over the pits inspection once we can afford to pay the rego Sharls."
Sharleen - "Be farkd it will, can't ya just bodgy up the element out of the kettle for now?"

Its all getting a bit Housos isn't it.

I started watching a youtube channel of "Big Banana Brewing", and apart from "F-IT Friday" he just makes and tastes homebrew.
I can't believe I watch it, but I really enjoy it. The best bit is when he does something wrong[1] and you can yell at the TV.

Somebody posted a link to one of his videos here, after I watched a couple more, I was fricken' hooked; downloaded the lot to watch offline.

If watching a guy in his shed tasting homebrew is interesting, a properly made TV show would be great.

EDIT: link to youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiEuBmNJwXXm-ke8Fy3IMmQ .

[1] Wrong, (noun). Not how *I* do it

The guys running it are the brother of a mate at work, and my mate's brother's mate, If that makes sense, that's about as far as I've looked into it. All I know is that I'm not a fan of the limelight, or any prick watching me for that matter, and I'll be stuffed if I'll let a camera crew in my shed. Apart from that, it looks alright.

Back