Home brewers:- A trustworthy bunch.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
It's a sad fact that in this day and age there are many people out to rip you off. Telemarketing scams, bank and PayPal scams, we have to lock our houses, our cars and teach our kids to be aware of strangers.
I've been on this forum for almost two years now and have arranged 2 bulk buys, purchased from a couple of bulk buys and brought and sold brewing equipment from many fellow AHB members.

And what I've noticed is how trustworthy and honest all you fellow home brewers are. We transfer money into PayPal and bank accounts of people that we only know by a username on a computer screen and I've never once seen anyone post on here that they've had any problems what so ever. I've sent post bags to people who have kindly packed my goods and taken time out of their busy day to go and post my parcel for me.

So here's cheers to all of you

The most honest bunch of guys I've ever had the pleasure of not knowing.

No cheers to you Truman, I'm slowly going through the Sod. Perc. that I got from your bulk buy and thought the same thing just the other day. :beer:

After a few years of internet trading where i often post stuff before payment or send parts with payment later, also often recieve payments on backorders weeks before they'll be available i have to agree.

Only once have i had the dirty done on me in thousands of transactions.

punkin said:
After a few years of internet trading where i often post stuff before payment or send parts with payment later, also often recieve payments on backorders weeks before they'll be available i have to agree.

Only once have i had the dirty done on me in thousands of transactions.
That's good to hear from an actual retailer punkin.

Living up here and getting involved in the bulk buys down in Brisbane I too have had great support with members on here, and would be lost without their help. Not only do I transfer money into someones account, my grain is also dropped off to my sons place by members! Thanks to all that have helped. Hopefully one day I can catch up and meet most of you and buy you a beer.

In my whole time on the forum, coming up 5 years, I've only known of a couple of blatant rip offs - one of them being a young guy at Willoughby who ripped a couple of people off for $100 of hops and has never posted again. There was also a case, I foggily remember, where someone had taken the money but not sent the spare parts and got "outed" on the forum in quite a long and nasty thread but I think the guy got the parts in the end.

Apart from that all has been sweetness and light. Apart from Chappo not getting his free Chinese hops after putting in so much work on the buy, but that was an admin stuff up, and we all chipped in some of ours for him IIRC.

Hey time for another Chinese Bulk buy .... :ph34r:

Looking at it from a scumbags point of view, it's the worst hobby in the world to be caught ripping people off at - so much saving money/convenience/brewing help comes from the community, it would be one of the worst communities to become alienated from. Furthermore it's about beer, the worst thing in a guys life to be making a mess of, making a total mess of your drinking is up there with losing your balls or something.

I agreed to buy some stuff from Rob S recently. He had it in the post before he'd even told me the final cost and it arrived on my doorstep probably prior to the money actually clearing in his account.

Djar007 paid for and collected apple juice from a cidery on my behalf, dropped it at my doorstep and threw in 15 odd L of pear juice before ever giving me his bank details.

Just two recent of many such experiences. However Truman still owes me for a horse I sold him six months ago.

And a chicken.

manticle said:
I agreed to buy some stuff from Rob S recently. He had it in the post before he'd even told me the final cost and it arrived on my doorstep probably prior to the money actually clearing in his account.

Djar007 paid for and collected apple juice from a cidery on my behalf, dropped it at my doorstep and threw in 15 odd L of pear juice before ever giving me his bank details.

Just two recent of many such experiences. However Truman still owes me for a horse I sold him six months ago.

And a chicken.
The horse was a nag and never won a race. and the bloody chicken wont lay eggs, so I didn't feel I should have to pay..... :p

It's my opinion, perhaps misguided, that like minded people, in a like minded hobby will band together.

Let's face it here.. We may be an internet based group of peers but this does not make you unaccountable for your actions and behaviour.

@bribie that particular member you made reference to also joined in bulk buys and then had no follow through despite pm's to sort it out. TBH I've not seen him active for a long time and it's no ******* loss, unreliable people like that drag down the best intentions of members who actually do want to to good for the greater good… there will always be the odd pickle in a glass of good eggs, more reason to identify them and name and shame so that others dont get trapped… innit Reg! Ya fucker

I don't know, I've drank with a few and I'm not too sure :)

Great thread. Was only thinking this the other day when I was offered a few hop rhizomes for nothing from a bloke who knew I was keen to get a few in the ground.

Passing on the hoppiness , when I get mine up and running Ill be doing the same thing. Passing it forward as people say.

I've only participated in bulk buys for AHB logo and Simple Really polo shirts on 3 occasions, and each was handled brilliantly by those involved.

No complaints from me. There's the odd nark on here who fails to see my twisted sense of humour on occasion, and gets their knickers in a knot, but I just put a "Like This" on their whinge, and it seems to calm them down.

warra48 said:
I've only participated in bulk buys for AHB logo and Simple Really polo shirts on 3 occasions, and each was handled brilliantly by those involved.

No complaints from me. There's the odd nark on here who fails to see my twisted sense of humour on occasion, and gets their knickers in a knot, but I just put a "Like This" on their whinge, and it seems to calm them down.
I like to blow a kiss/smile insanely and wave to dickheads that road rage.

I've found all trading from people on this site to be fantastic :beerbang:

Lecterfan said:
Not me. I am both a dog AND a maggot.
Shit man… that's a pretty harsh sort of self analysis, especially how I understand those terms!!

Its my experience that you fit neither of those..

Back