Home Brewer to Pro Brewer for GBW13 - Questions you want to ask the br

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthoughton

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! My name is Matt, and I'm one half of Boatrocker (the other half is my wife!).

We are hosting the Homebrewer to Probrewer event in conjunction with the Great Britain Hotel in Richmond. Check out the link here.

As was the case with last year, the GB are putting on some great food for the night, plus you'll get 4 or more beers included in the ticket price. There will also be loads of prizes and giveaways. As can be attested by those who went last year, it was arguably the best value event of the whole week.

So this year, things are a little different with regards the format of the night. We've taken the advice of people on this forum, and are putting out a request for questions you'd like to ask the brewers. We'll be extending the question time as well. Then it will be business as usual with a chance to chat one on one with the brewers.

We've also recognised that not everyone wants to own their own brewery, but still want work in one. We've organised people from Goat and Holgate to talk on the night as well. We're still finalising some of the brewers, but will keep you informed as they get secured...

So, when you're ready, fire the questions this way, and we'll make sure they get answered!

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Matt,

I'll put together a couple over the next few days but here's one for you now. The two-person husband/wife brewery is exactly what we are considering doing sometime in the next few years. With a two-person brewery I'm curious what your total production is, if you care to divulge? I'm also interested in keg/bottle split of your production. Also what's your break-even point and how long did it take you to reach it?

If you care to answer these feel free to PM me an answer if youd rather. I totally understand if you don't want to though.

Cheers and I'll see you at the session.

Hi Mardoo,

Will answer those questions and more on the night. If you've got more, then please shoot them this way.
If you know people who are coming, then see if they've got any questions.
If we can the questions in early enough, we'll be able to answer them all on the night, plus it will mean people won't feel embarrassed about asking a (what they may think) silly question. But rest assured, there is no such thing as a silly question. Just the one you don't ask.

Cheers,

Matt

hi matt,

i'm very interested to hear more detail about the process of council approval and liquor license. some info about what you need in place before beginning the application process, tips/advice etc

cheers

Will this session be recorded at all?

I can't get to Melbourne this month, but am very interested in hearing the answers to some of these questions.

What's the current state of laws regarding production and taxation of craft brews? How can we get involved in getting craft-brewer-friendly laws passed?

Okay Matt,

Here’s a whole slew of questions I have about making the move from home brewer to craft brewer. I’m really looking forward to the night! I’m very happy this has been set up. Cheers mate.

** Other than financing what are the five most difficult things about making the transition from home brewer to craft brewer?

**What's the current state of laws regarding production and taxation of craft brews? How can we get involved in getting craft-brewer-friendly laws passed?

** How do brewing processes differ at commercial scales? What were changes you had to make to your thinking about brewing that you weren’t expecting?

** Does the need for efficiency in production much alter how you develop recipes? It seems like techniques as late sugar additions, flavors added during secondary fermentation, etc, would become a pain on the professional production level. Clearly though professional brewers are doing such things.

**Any advice on sourcing equipment would be greatly appreciated. For example, is sourcing used equipment a realistic option? Is sourcing from China a realistic option? Who are reputable local agents for craft-level brewing systems?

**If you have preferences regarding the different types (not brands) of boilers available it would be interesting to hear them.

** What percentage of startup costs are attributable to packaging? How difficult is proper packaging? What are preferred types (not brands) of packaging systems to look at?

** What are the realities of distribution in Australia? What is the current state of distribution for craft brewers and what improvements do we need to see for craft beer to flourish?

** A significant position exists in the American craft brew market for brew pubs. Do you think a similar position will exist in the Australian market, or do you think sales of kegged beer will more go the way of sales to pubs?

**Other than brewing-at-scale what are some things we should gain some education or experience in before trying to go pro?

** How do home brewing competitions and judging figure in developing your profile from home brewer to craft brewer? I’ve heard that it can help in the US market, but I’m not sure about here.

** What are good sources for information about hop utilization?

** Do you tend to use Australian/NZ or imported hops? Extracts? What issues are there with sourcing hops that a craft brewer needs to be aware of?

**Do you tend to use Australian or imported malts? What issues are there with sourcing malts that a craft brewer needs to be aware of? Are malt extracts at all helpful at the level you’re working at?

** As brewers do you reckon there will be room in the ************************ market for Australian-made traditional floor malts? Would you consider them? Do they already exist and I just haven’t been able to track them down.

**Is there a niche in the brewing market for professional mobile bottling, as there is in the wine market? (No, I'm not interested, but I'm sure there has got to be someone who geeks on packaging enough to do so.)

:super: then

:icon_chickcheers: then

:drinks: then

:party:

why is there no hangover emoticon?

ed: this is tonight for all you last minute type of peeps

I take it I will see you there Mardoo? I will be able to tell who you are, youll be the guy with all the brewers cornered yeah?

Look forward too. Good stuff Yob on the leave pass see you there.

Am planning on

:super: and then

:icon_chickcheers: and then

:drinks: and then
:party:

Too

A mate and I are going to this too, see y'all tonight, pretty excited for this one

I thought that may be construed by some to reflect the goods over the bar...

I was thinking more like

crook.JPG

Feckin awesome…,thanks Matt and all the other presenters, top effort.. I'd loved to have been able to hang about for a bender but alas, doody calls... Looking forward to your boatrocker opening invite.. Will put in the request for a leave pass..

2nd year in a row for me and it was twice as good.

Yob

Mate I saw u there, same grey haired **** u deliver to on Collins st lol. Awesome night. On one hand its hard to hear how far away u are.from getting there, on the other hand its mad to hear similar stories and love for the craft.

Back