Home Brew in 50 ltr kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewem

Reaction score
Posted a problem but under a different name. Lost all my info. Here goes.
Home brew in a 50 ltr commercial Keg.
Froth all over the place when pulling a beer
Told to lower the pressure to 8 psi as suggested
Very little improvement.
Kegs have been standing for a while.
No movement.
All lines have clear beer in them.
Question? Would the taps make froth as the brew goes through them?

Last edited:
A temperature difference in the line compared to the keg will result in this. I've had this problem when using a 50l keg with a picnic tap. Needed to run some beer through it to cool it down.

Show us a picture of the setup.
Silly things like line length play a factor here too. What diameter and length are you using? Is it in a fridge or temprite? What exactly are you pouring it from?

line length and diameter are first things that come to mind. Is the keg cold? what pressure did you carbonate at?

What was the pressure before lowering to 8psi? How much CO2 is dissolved in the beer?

8 psi seems low to me. But I fit commercial systems, so I may be wrong. It seems that a lot of guys on here are operating around the 12 psi mark. (Which incidentally is equilibrium pressure for many of the commercial "swill" lager type beers.)

agreed on the 8psi call,(in the past 20psi in a kegerator with 2m of 4mm id worked well few frothies for the first ten pints then plain sailing after that) i usually sit on ten and work up slowly, takes a while to balance out but it will get there if you leave it at serving pressure.

need to know line id and length plus serving temp, annddd height of tap also if applicable, to solve this one for you.

it's likely frothing because there is too little resistance leaving the tap/faucet and the c02 says **** this im out, causing your brew blues.

You say you are using a commercial keg... Is your keg coupler sound? Often the probe gasket (if fitted) or the base seal or both can be the culprit. If they are damaged, they will allow gas through with the beer.

Latest posts

Back