Quantcast

Home Again And Site News!

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

dane

Reaction score
Hey Guys!! Well I am back home safely after being overseas for 3 months. I have to admit I am pretty impressed that the site seems to have survived my complete lack of attention and was amazed to see 14500 + post and over 380 members!

Regarding the site I know the main issue everyone is having are skin related ones. Looking back on things I realise that this skin and site layout was rather quickly implemented in a hope to get some updates done before I left for my holiday.

I have already looking into a number of portal layouts that have been in development while I was away and hopefully I will implement one of those shortly (as I think that is what everyone wants).

Please feel free to pass on any advice or suggestions while I spent the next couple of weeks putting together some new stuff.

Thanks once again!

Gough

Maintain the Rage!
Reaction score
Welcome back fiscus.

Shawn.

Linz

Reaction score
I like the look of the beersmith forum...just needs more Aussie flavour

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Welcome home Fiscus.
Time to get those fermenters back into action :p

Beers,
Doc

siiren

Reaction score
welcome back Fiscus, how was the holiday?

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
welcome home fiscus.hope you had a grouse holiday

i think one thing alot of us would like to see is the recipe section up and running.

cheers
big d

BarneyG

Reaction score
Hey Fiscus, how much beer did you manage to consume while overseas :chug:

Anyway, I like the format of the forum :) But I reckon that this forum I use aswell is just sensational.

http://www.m1gst.com/phpBB2/index.php

Cheers,
BarneyG

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
Welcome back from the batz too

And in 100% with big d , recipe page would be great

But hey.... have a day or two too settle but in :p :p

Hoops

Reaction score
Welcome home Fiscus.
I am looking foward to the chat section up and running
Keen for some recipes too.
Hoops

wedge

Reaction score
RECIPE Sections :rolleyes:

Sorted by style and only submittable if the recipe has been brewed by the person submitting the recipe!!

Hence we have only proven recipes, other recipes can be submitted to each other like we have been doing.

Does this sound fair?

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
I'd even like to go further Wedge and say that whoever is submitting the recipe has to have brewed it more than once.
And if the brew had won awards then it would have even more cred.
I really like the Skotrat recipe archive that also allows brewers who use the recipe to post the comments. This provides other brewers with more info regarding the beer before they brew it.

Beers,
Doc

wedge

Reaction score
i only suggested once, since so many of us are newbie AG'rs

Hoops

Reaction score
I tend to agree with Wedge on that one, although I see where you're coming from Doc. How about a standard setup where you need to say how many times you've brewed it?
There should definitely be a system where others that have brewed it can rate it.
If the recipe is done on a program like Promash it would be good to add the saved file so others could just download and open up.

Hoops

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
a good call but a hard call doc.
bearing in mind water differences,systems,hop/grain freshness etc.
my reasoning behind recipe section is to give us ag and partial and kit brewers some starting points to have a go at and maybe alter to suit there tastes.if you look at some aust web sites they say to make x brand just add so and so with this kit and hey presto instand clone of commercial beer.it just isnt true.
anyway as a newbie ag brewer ive limited aust recipes to try so have been trying a few usa ones that i can brew with our ingredients that are the same as theres to a degree.however by doing this i cant gauge it against the original.

maybe we only post beer recipes we have brewed once/twice and have a feed back section (ala skotrat)where others who try it can comment.of course you would have to stick to the recipe exactly barring water quality/composition of course other wise it wouldnt be a fair comment if it gets altered.

thoughts?

cheers
big d

GMK

BrewInn Barossa:~ Home to GMKenterprises ~
Reaction score
As an avid poster of recipes - here are my thoughts.

Recipes should be treated as a starting point - not a be all and end all.
Feedback needs to be able to be placed on the forum.
Recipes need to be categorised into kits, kits and bits/partials and all grains and in their respective categories/styles- aids better searching.
Need a section that details any awards won.
Need to describe acurately and honestly what the recipe tastes like - is hoping to acomplish/emulate.

I think that there needs to be an adequate amount of respect given to all the home brewers that are willing to share their recipes. After all, they have put in the hard yards. In other words - you dont bag them personally or their recipes.

After all - ' Different Beers for Different Steers"

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
Sounds good GMK

Only thing that worries me about comments is the recipes will get lost in a thread of " I would add more....." " I would use ...yeast"

Perhaps after a time a recipe could be locked , without comments

Not as easy as it sounds , is it ?

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Batz,

Your last post detailing comments like different yeast and more hops etc, is the reason I went for the brewer having to have brewed it more that once.
It is very rare that you nail a brew on the first attempt. That way hopefully you reduce the comments you describe. This is not to say however that other brewers brewing it will refine recipes to their tastes and post their comments back in that vein.

I don't feel a seperate section is required for kit/partial/mash recipes. IMO the recipes should be categorised by BJCP category with a flag/icon indicating whether the recipe is kit/partial/mash and the brew size (eg 23 litres, 50 litres). And of course any awards/medals won by that recipe.

Finally the recipes should be able to be uploaded in native Promash/Beersmith format so that anyone that wants to use the recipe doesn't have to re-enter it.

Beers.
Doc

Wreck

Reaction score
Going further than awards etc, you could also include judges comments.

Maybe allow the original brewer to update their recipes as it evolves. Some sort of hierarchy like:

BJCP Category
--> Brew (with Extract/Partial/AG, and general descriptions etc)
-----> Version
--------> Brewer's Tasting Notes
--------> Awards/Judges Comments
--------> AHB users feedback/recommendations
--------> Cost of ingredients (do we really want to add it up?)

If there are a lot of comments along the lines of more of this and less of that, then you pratically have a new recipe anyway. When someone makes their own variation, post it up as a new recipe, maybe saying which recipe it was based on.

Maybe I'm getting carried away here.

Wreck.

Latest posts