Holy Crap! First Shot Of Coopers Stout!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_sa

Now in 3V
Reaction score
Hey guys

Wow! After knocking off work this eveing at 8pm i grabbed a bottle of Coopers "BEST"Stout

I have nevewr in my life drank a stout, I normally drink (apart from my homebrew) Ales and predominantly Lagers and pilseners (stella, boags, Caporal)

First impressions

Shit, thats dark, Look at the head, Thick and creeeeeeamy..... Lager aint got nothing in the head department! :unsure:

First smell:

Like burnt chocolate or something similar on fire.... the smell reminds me of that

First taste

hmmmm im still deciding.... lemme have some more :unsure: :unsure:
How can this and lager be described both as beer.... they are miles apart :blink:

I dont mind it actually..... 6.3% HOLY CRAP! Bah! Ill show them Sparkling guys!

Not a bad drop IMO, Something for me to drink through winter me thinks :chug:

Ben

Now wait till you try an imperial stout! :)

I've got a bottle of Samuel Smiths Imperial Stout in my cupboard, I'm tossing up whether to save it till easter, or put it in the fridge to take away with me this weekend!

welcome to the wonderful world of stout ben.
it varies in taste so much its amazing.first thought to mind guinness then the opposite end youngs double chocolate stout.
the list is endless

cheers
big d

My advice is to try lots of nice stout BEFORE you rip into a Sheaf. *shudder*. Get to like the style first... otherwise you might be put off it for life.

I must admit tho, I am a bit of a stout virgin (compared to some). I've tried maybe only about 10 different stouts. So there may just be something about Sheaf that I don't "get" yet.

I once heard that Guinness considers Coopers Stout their only real competitor.

Yet to try the Youngs. I'll have to get some! :chug:

Ben

The first time I tried a stout (Guiness of course) it smelled and tasted like burned toast! Must say I love a pint of stout now and then.
Had a night on Beamish Stout for St Patricks day - awesome.

Hoops

With the golden sheaf stout is to leave it for 20min on the bench, then crack it and pour. If its fridgid cold its like drinking from an ash-tray. A little warmer and its like drinking liquid choclate.
And I reckon its bottle conditioned too! or bottled while still fermenting slightly

Wreck said:
I once heard that Guinness considers Coopers Stout their only real competitor.

Yet to try the Youngs. I'll have to get some! :chug:
Theres no way that'd be the case. Coopers dont export enough stout to be a competitor. Beamish or Murphys would outsell coopers drastically on the international market. I'd actually see Murphys as the closest competitor to Guinness.

Four things brought me to Australia. In order of importance they were:
1: My wife (lovely Aussie lass)
2: The Visa
3: Coopers Stout - sold in a bottle shop in a Glasgow railway station. I lived in Edinburgh, the other side of Scotland - but it was worth the rail fare.
4: Coopers Sparkling Ale sold in a bottle shop in a Glasgow railway station. I lived in Edinburgh, the other side of Scotland - but it was worth the rail fare - to get the Stout, the Sparkling was an incidental bonus.

IMHO two of the best commercially brewed stouts doing the rounds, anywhere, are Coopers and Southwark - both from Croweater land. It almost makes me wish the winters were cold enough to really appreciate the brews! Almost.....

Never tried Southwark Stout, never even seen it in Perth, but Swan Brewery (easily Southwark's equal in brewing foul australian lagers) also does a very nice stout.

Good Day
I had a bottle of Cooper's Special Old Stout last week and I can still taste it. Have to buy a lot more of that and I don't usually buy much commercial (except for research purposes).

I was told that the best stout in kit form is the ESB EXTRA SPECIAL 3kg STOUT kit. Does this come close or what?

Theres no way that'd be the case. Coopers dont export enough stout to be a competitor. Beamish or Murphys would outsell coopers drastically on the international market. I'd actually see Murphys as the closest competitor to Guinness.

I think it was a comparison of the product, not market share. Probably bullshit at the end of the day anyway.

wee stu said:
Four things brought me to Australia. In order of importance they were:
1: My wife (lovely Aussie lass)
2: The Visa
3: Coopers Stout - sold in a bottle shop in a Glasgow railway station. I lived in Edinburgh, the other side of Scotland - but it was worth the rail fare.
4: Coopers Sparkling Ale sold in a bottle shop in a Glasgow railway station. I lived in Edinburgh, the other side of Scotland - but it was worth the rail fare - to get the Stout, the Sparkling was an incidental bonus.

IMHO two of the best commercially brewed stouts doing the rounds, anywhere, are Coopers and Southwark - both from Croweater land. It almost makes me wish the winters were cold enough to really appreciate the brews! Almost.....
I'm with wee stu on the Southwark Stout, the only beer they do really well.
Try it with some Blue Cheese, it goes down a treat.

C&B
TDA

Totally agree TDA, bloody good drop........!!!! and the cheese - yet to try but sounds a winner :p

JSB

hey wee stu.
if your longing for that cold winter stout drinking weather you could always fill your sporran with ice cubes and sit in the fridge with a nice stout. :D

cheers
big d

what do you mean could Big D? :D
Just promise me not to sell the pictures.

Well i always knew what was worn under a kilt...
now i also know whats wet & cold under there too
:D

OK Prime - how much did you pay for the pictures?

who can put a value on such a modern art masterpiece?

:D

Back