holiday in cairns

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could race a cane road for under 5 bucks in PD. The daintree us also nice. Having used to work at the hospital I also went to the Balinese restaurant and liked it.

We were up there 2 years ago.

Found a little bar/snack restaurant at the back of one of those artsy fartsy mall market type places in Kuranda, where they sold German Beers. Had a couple of lovely Dunkelweizens imported from Bavaria.

Unless it's all been fished out, Spanish Mackerel is superb, just cooked battered by the fish n chip shops. If I ever went back up there I'd quite happily live on that and the odd curry. Very hard to get elsewhere in Australia, so well worth seeking out.

Bribie G said:
Unless it's all been fished out, Spanish Mackerel is superb, just cooked battered by the fish n chip shops. If I ever went back up there I'd quite happily live on that and the odd curry. Very hard to get elsewhere in Australia, so well worth seeking out.
Agreed. We also had wild caught Barramundi in the restaurant of our hotel. They bought it from local recreational fishermen as and when available. Best Barra we've ever eaten.

mattbrewer said:
Green Ant Catina does not make its own beer. It buys it from an old U-brew mob who make it out of syrup. Probably the worst be ever made. They also supply some beer to the Bavarian beer cafe, Iron Bar in Port Douglas and a few other places. Be careful if you see a 'locally made' beer on tap or bottles around Cairns.

Blue Sky stills makes a few different beers. Fairly standard lagers, but still local.

I can't recommend any place in particular but some restaurants may surprise you. The local home-brewers may be meeting while you are up - send a PM closer to the date just in case.
Shame about Green Ant Cantina, I was excited about it too. Not that I get to Cairns much.

Latest posts

Back