Holgate 'old Pale Ale'?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gough

Maintain the Rage!
Reaction score
Anyone else out there tried the Holgate 'Old Pale Ale'? Just interested in some other opinions. I bought a bottle last night and was really looking forward to it as another of their brews, the 'Macedon Pale Ale' has been winning awards lately and is a fine drop.

The 'Old Pale Ale' was a big disappointment IMO unfortunately. It tasted kind of like beer concentrate if you know what I mean. It was as if the brewers had said 'lets go nuts' and threw in way too much of everything. The Crystal malt taste was truly overpowering and the hop bitterness didn't so much balance as beat you around the head. Almost couldn't finish the bottle. My wife actually suggested mixing it with soda water to make it drinkable! It actually tasted really like a homebrew experiment gone wrong.

I'm not coming on here to sledge Holgate beers - the others of theirs I've tried I really enjoyed, but am more wondering whether I got a dud bottle, or if others have had a similar experience?

Any opinions??

Shawn.

Shawn,

One of the latest and greatest things to happen to beers these days are "best before" dates.
Just make sure you've got a bottle "in date"....even 2E's and VB have got them.
:blink:

Shawn,

Hmmm, an interesting review of the beer. Personally I think Holgate's Old Pale is one of the better brews in the country. Yes it has a lot of flavour, I'd agree with you there.

I think though it can quite easily share the stable with LCPA and Mountain Goat. Lots and lots of hops and malt flavours.

I like the other beers they make but I love this one!

Linz has a good point. The distribution problem these little microbreweries have must be horrendous. Not only does it take them ages to get their beer out there, but if it's off by the time we get it, it does more damage than good.

It is a strong flavoured drink, no denying that, so perhaps its just a preference thing? I tried my first Pilsner Erquell last month and was un impressed, but then I'm not a big lover of pils so......

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I checked the bottle before I bought it and there was no 'use by' date visible on the bottle. I think that must have been the problem though. If it is anything like the Mountain Goat or the LCPA then I should love it as I love both those beers. 'Strong' flavours are not a problem - this was totally unbalanced IMO and may well have been off. As I said the other beer of theirs I've tried I loved, so was very disappointed with this one. Will give it another go if I can find one with a use by date!

Shawn.

Latest posts

Back