Holgate Esb Any Idea's On A Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mirrored the last ESB using Challenger in place of the Target but I suppose it comes down to individual tastes, I have always preferred Target for my bittering.
But turns out it is neither in the Holgate ESB, and no, there is no Galaxy in there. Met the head brewer today, take everything back about brewers being secretive, the brewer at Holgate couldn't be more helpful. Not only did he tell me that the bittering hops are either Super Pride or Ella, whichever is available at the time, preference in that order, and the remaining additions EKG he gave me 600 gram of each!
Any reference to percentages?

PART_1586253698717.jpg

Got to brew an esb Two weeks ago. Ended up running a grain bill 90% MO and 10% heritage crystal. used your hop schedule weal with Ella for bittering and ekg for the rest at about 35ibu. tastes beautiful. Used Nottingham for the first time and was amazed at how quickly it fermented. Thanks weal will definitely be brewing an esb again.

Any reference to percentages?
Approximately 2 to 1, 1 being the bittering.
View attachment 117851
Got to brew an esb Two weeks ago. Ended up running a grain bill 90% MO and 10% heritage crystal. used your hop schedule weal with Ella for bittering and ekg for the rest at about 35ibu. tastes beautiful. Used Nottingham for the first time and was amazed at how quickly it fermented. Thanks weal will definitely be brewing an esb again.
Glad you liked it, what makes Holgate ESB stand out is definitely the bitterness, try upping the IBU a bit the next time you brew, but if you don't like to much bitterness then, 'as you were'.

Was thinking about upping the ibu next time. Looked up holgate esb and it reckons its only 35ibu so went with that on this one. Everyone is enjoying it though so it probably won't last to long. Will let you know how the next one goes.

My wife has finally almost ran out of things for me to do, milled the grain adjusted the hops and will be brewing tomorrow using the Ella for bittering. Currently drinking the ESB with the Challenger additions while it is a nice drop preferred the Target additions to the Challenger.

Ok This thread has got me interested. I love English beer, TT Landlord, Fullers ESB & Speckled Hen. To be honest I like most beers but not the commercial mainstream lagers. Never tried Holgates but going by the reputation I am sure it is a good drop. Following your recipe WEAL and trying Brewsmith for the first time I have come up with the following. It is of course limited to what I have in hand at the moment.
23Lt BIAB
4.3 Kg Gladfield Pale Ale
.56 Kg Gladfield Med Crystal Ale
.03 Kg Gladfield Dark Chocolate
.25 Kg Gladfield Gladiator
.5 Kg Flaked Maize

20gms Vic Secret Boil 60 mins
25gms EKG Boil 15 mins
15gms EKG Steep/Whirlpool
15gms EKG Dry Hop 4 Days

SafAle 04 1.2 Pkts

Mash 67C

I am a newby! So advice, comments, critical or otherwise are appreciated.

Adjust to whatever bittering hops you want. If you have trouble getting Target, Brewman has them.
21 litres Fermenter volume. Full volume mash.

4.3 kg Compass Mash
0.5 kg Flaked Corn Mash
0.250 Gladiator Malt Mash
0.565 Crystal 60 Mash out
0.030 Chocolate Mash out

27 g Target 60 mins
25 g EKG 15 mins
15 g EKG 0 mins
15 g EKG Dry hop
What yeast did you use weal?

What yeast did you use weal?

I used Fermentis SO- 4, I will replicate the first recipe I brewed and try the CN-36 I have had good results with that.

Ok This thread has got me interested. I love English beer, TT Landlord, Fullers ESB & Speckled Hen. To be honest I like most beers but not the commercial mainstream lagers. Never tried Holgates but going by the reputation I am sure it is a good drop. Following your recipe WEAL and trying Brewsmith for the first time I have come up with the following. It is of course limited to what I have in hand at the moment.
23Lt BIAB
.5 Kg Flaked Maize

25gms EKG Boil 15 mins
15gms EKG Dry Hop 4 Days

SafAle 04 1.2 Pkts

Mash 67C

Can't comment on the hops as I haven't used them, give it a go it's hard to make a bad beer.;)

23Lt BIAB
.5 Kg Flaked Maize

25gms EKG Boil 15 mins
15gms EKG Dry Hop 4 Days

SafAle 04 1.2 Pkts

Mash 67C

1.2 Pkts? Chuck the 0.2, it's obviously been opened (how long for doesn't really matter) Do a starter if you think you need more but at this OG a fresh pack should be plenty.

1.2 Pkts? Chuck the 0.2, it's obviously been opened (how long for doesn't really matter) Do a starter if you think you need more but at this OG a fresh pack should be plenty.
Hope I am not going off topic. Interesting as I said I am a newbie and looking for advice. I do not converse with any home brewers at the moment for first hand knowledge and all my information comes from Goggles head brewer. Fermentis recommend 50-80gms a H/Lt, you are correct 1 pkt (11.5g) should be enough for 23lts. The requirement for 1.2 pkts is from the Beersmith yeast starter tab. Previous to using Beersmith I came up with a similar amount using the Lallemand pitching calculator. I vacumn seal the opened packet and store at 4 C for less than 2 weeks. The logic of using slightly more yeast came from my first brew using Saf-05. Fermentation stuck at day two for some reason when I just sprinkled a pkt on top as recommended. On subsequent brews I have been using more Fermentis yeast (1.2 - 1.5 pkts), rehydrated. I am also slightly oxygenating my wort and pressure fermenting at 5 psi/18 C. I know that fermentis say oxygenation is not required, but interestingly in another technical note they have conflicting advice in that oxygenation can be carried out in the first 18 hours of fermentaion. My new process has resulted in very spectacular active fermentation, lots of swirling of particles and bubbling. I can try going to a single pack as its a pain handling the opened packets.

To be honest Malted Mick I too used 1.5 sachets the first ESB I did I haven't since, the one sachet is enough. As for the 18 hour time lapse, that is because the yeast has by that time gone into the anaerobic stage, that is for all yeasts in general.

If it's working for you and you're getting good results then stick with it, I doubt the stuck fermentation was a result of 1 pack as opposed to 1.2 packs though, something else was going on there.
I like things simple so use a rule of thumb, up to 1045/1050 a single pack, over 1045/1050 two packs, at 1090 and above a small beer and use yeast cake. I can hear the howls of derision from the cell counting process focused guys lol but it works for me.
Thanks to MHB I've now become more than a little obsessed with yeasts in general and infections in particular hence my comment about chucking the 0.2.
Cheers

Back