Holgate Esb Any Idea's On A Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their website states that it is made with EKGs
On the tasting notes which they hand out from behind the bar, 'an abundance of EKG and is enhanced with a touch of Aussie Galaxy' I cant taste them, but I do like the bitter finish. Anyway inspired to try something, if I can get it similar to this I would be happy, I have got some EKG and Williamette, maybe go down that path.

On the tasting notes which they hand out from behind the bar, 'an abundance of EKG and is enhanced with a touch of Aussie Galaxy' I cant taste them, but I do like the bitter finish. Anyway inspired to try something, if I can get it similar to this I would be happy, I have got some EKG and Williamette, maybe go down that path.

I doubt the original recipe had Galaxy in it. The Holgate ESB was a favourite of mine and I proudly served it at my pub for years before they decided to only sell it uncarbonated for hand pumps and it dropped off my tap list. I switched to Hargreaves ESB after trialing a few others, which was amazing fresh and had a lovely hop forward note to it. Still, Holgates ESB reminded me of being in England...they nailed the malt bill in the original recipe, I'm not sure what it is like these days.

Let us know how you go WEAL!

I doubt the original recipe had Galaxy in it. The Holgate ESB was a favourite of mine and I proudly served it at my pub for years before they decided to only sell it uncarbonated for hand pumps and it dropped off my tap list. I switched to Hargreaves ESB after trialing a few others, which was amazing fresh and had a lovely hop forward note to it. Still, Holgates ESB reminded me of being in England...they nailed the malt bill in the original recipe, I'm not sure what it is like these days.

Let us know how you go WEAL!
I have been up there 3 times in the last week (to Trentham) going up again probably Wednesday will see if I can find out more. I am sure that Paul Holgate used to post on here some years ago, probably got better things to do now they have grown so big. Seems like the ESB has evolved over the years, I will definitely take more notice of the colour as well.

I find it quite amusing that despite the brewery themselves saying in multiple places that it is dry hopped with galaxy, there are so many in this thread who seem to think that they know better...
Just because you cannot pick it specifically, that does mean that it isn't there. Perhaps a restrained addition of galaxy may blend well with an expressive English yeast throwing fruity esters, and the strong malt character that it has.
It's really a good laugh that you all think that you know more about the recipe of the beer than the actual brewery themselves.

Go up and do the brewery tour on a Saturday WEAL, I did it and asked them questions about their Temptress Chocloate Porter, I got nothing I didn't already know, a vague grain bill and no hops.

Getting information from a brewery about a beer, especially a popular one is like pulling teeth. Take no notice of the tasting notes, beers are almost continually tweaked and if they are truthful the info could be out of date. When I worked at Rubicon Brewery they were constantly getting emails about what was going into certain beers. The boss would give them something which was not even close, his favourite saying was, If you want to keep a secret pretend you havent got one.

I find it quite amusing that despite the brewery themselves saying in multiple places that it is dry hopped with galaxy, there are so many in this thread who seem to think that they know better...
Just because you cannot pick it specifically, that does mean that it isn't there. Perhaps a restrained addition of galaxy may blend well with an expressive English yeast throwing fruity esters, and the strong malt character that it has.
It's really a good laugh that you all think that you know more about the recipe of the beer than the actual brewery themselves.

I don't think you know how the internet works. That's exactly the truth. These people know far more than the brewers ;)

Thats my thoughts too Reg, I read a post on another forum where one of the members had emailed the brewer asking what went into Doom Bar, the brewer replied he would get back to him when he wasn't so busy and give him the ingredients. The poster went back on the forum tellimg them he was going to get the recipe for Doom Bar.
A couple of weeks later he got a reply from the brewer, malt, water, hops and yeast. I think you would have to be a Collingwood supporter if you thought you would get a truthful answer from a brewer making a popular beer.

Will be spending a lot of time at Trentham MBB so will go on the brewery tour, is it free? ;)

My experience: I contacted a north Auckland craft brewer after tasting their lovely chocolate stout. I explained I was seeking guidance only & any info supplied would be on a confidential basis.
Reply: "the head brewer will respond shortly "........................ and yes he did, suggesting a grain bill & wishing me good luck.
I may have fluked it, but I kept my word, unfortunately I am not set up for all grain brewing so I could not test the "recipe".

Called into Holgates yesterday, all I was told was they used EKG, I can understand they don't want to disclose the recipe. So after having a couple more decided I will brew an ESB using Target for bittering and EKG for aroma.
The brewery is pretty impressive, quite large now with the canning and bottling lines.

My experience: I contacted a north Auckland craft brewer after tasting their lovely chocolate stout. I explained I was seeking guidance only & any info supplied would be on a confidential basis.
Reply: "the head brewer will respond shortly "........................ and yes he did, suggesting a grain bill & wishing me good luck.
I may have fluked it, but I kept my word, unfortunately I am not set up for all grain brewing so I could not test the "recipe".
I tried that with McCashins Brewery never got a reply.

Was up at Holgates again last week, going up again Monday, started cold crashing the ESB I made using Target for bittering, two charges of EKG, 20 mins and flame out, EKG dry hop.
Bought a couple of takeaways the Double ESB AT 7.5% no where near as bitter as the ESB from the pump. If I get somewhere close to the bitterness I will be happy.
013.JPG

Was up at Holgates again last week, going up again Monday, started cold crashing the ESB I made using Target for bittering, two charges of EKG, 20 mins and flame out, EKG dry hop.
Bought a couple of takeaways the Double ESB AT 7.5% no where near as bitter as the ESB from the pump. If I get somewhere close to the bitterness I will be happy.
View attachment 117701

Thanks for taking one for the team WEAL.

Thats my thoughts too Reg, I read a post on another forum where one of the members had emailed the brewer asking what went into Doom Bar, the brewer replied he would get back to him when he wasn't so busy and give him the ingredients. The poster went back on the forum tellimg them he was going to get the recipe for Doom Bar.
A couple of weeks later he got a reply from the brewer, malt, water, hops and yeast. I think you would have to be a Collingwood supporter if you thought you would get a truthful answer from a brewer making a popular beer.

Will be spending a lot of time at Trentham MBB so will go on the brewery tour, is it free? ;)
No not free, but it's worth paying for, a brilliant set up.
I hope you keep a few bottles aside for interested parties to taste.:)

No not free, but it's worth paying for, a brilliant set up.
I hope you keep a few bottles aside for interested parties to taste.:)
I have 9 stubby's put aside for anyone who wants a taste, has the intense hop bitterness, though it's early days yet. Colour looks good I will repeat the same recipe and use Challenger as the bittering hop but the same IBU.
As most of the interested parties are local I will drop the tasters at KK.

Mirrored the last ESB using Challenger in place of the Target but I suppose it comes down to individual tastes, I have always preferred Target for my bittering.
But turns out it is neither in the Holgate ESB, and no, there is no Galaxy in there. Met the head brewer today, take everything back about brewers being secretive, the brewer at Holgate couldn't be more helpful. Not only did he tell me that the bittering hops are either Super Pride or Ella, whichever is available at the time, preference in that order, and the remaining additions EKG he gave me 600 gram of each!

Any chance of sharing your recipe for this ESB weal? Have been wanting to brew an esb and its sounding pretty good.

Any chance of sharing your recipe for this ESB weal? Have been wanting to brew an esb and its sounding pretty good.
Adjust to whatever bittering hops you want. If you have trouble getting Target, Brewman has them.
21 litres Fermenter volume. Full volume mash.

4.3 kg Compass Mash
0.5 kg Flaked Corn Mash
0.250 Gladiator Malt Mash
0.565 Crystal 60 Mash out
0.030 Chocolate Mash out

27 g Target 60 mins
25 g EKG 15 mins
15 g EKG 0 mins
15 g EKG Dry hop

Awesome. Thank weal. Novice question though. Crystal and choc you throw in at mash out? Does that mean I mix them in with the rest of the grain after the 60min mash whilst raising temp to 75c then sparge as per usual?

Awesome. Thank weal. Novice question though. Crystal and choc you throw in at mash out? Does that mean I mix them in with the rest of the grain after the 60min mash whilst raising temp to 75c then sparge as per usual?
Yes you can put them in after the 60 minutes is up and carry on as normal, or you can put them in for the full mash, I prefer not to.
As I do a full volume mash and no other water, my efficiency is lower than yours , you are looking for a 1,050 OG 1,012 FG IBU between 45 and 50 so adjust the recipe to suit you.
Forgot to mention mash temp 67 C

Last edited:
Back