Hole in my Bung Issue

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andytambo

Reaction score
Hey experts. Just after some guidance in regard to my new Inkbird Temp controller. I have 15 cm hole in my fermenter lid that I previously used for my immersion heater, I don't use this any more. In the past I have used a bung to block the hole which worker perfectly.
With the new Inkbird Temp Controller I have recently purchased I got a bung with a hole in it for the Inkbird Temp thermometer lead to go through and into the wort. Do most brewers do this or stick the temp controller to the side of the fermenter, just not sure this will give an accurate reading.
If I go through the bung hole I need to somehow fill around the temp lead as the bung hole is bigger than the lead. I was thinking silicone or similar?

Any thoughts or comments greatly appreciated.

I stick the probe to the side of the fermenter with a piece of stubby holder over it to insulate. Seems to do the job.

^ +1 in my single fermenter fridge, use duct (gaffer) tape.
I've used a stainless tube that you drop the probe into, fixed through the lid with a grommet and measures the centre of the wort temp, couldn't tell any difference between using it, and taping the probe to the side, also precludes using any pressure in the fermenter.

Just got a thermowell lid for the G3 snub nose, will see how it performs but I usually tape it onto the side using some paper towel and tape 3 sides. Like a sucking chest wound, then slip the probe into the "pocket"

Seems to work quite well but who knows!

I think the biggest key is to minimise temp swings rather then "it says 15 but I'm really at 15.9" if that makes sense.

Thanks guys. I like the tape to the sides and enclose with an old stubbie holder. Done that and seems to be working really well. All good suggestions. I did a quick comparison with it on the side and in the water. There was only a .5 difference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 28
I'm anything but an expert but I drilled a hole in one of the soft-drink caps screwed into the lid of my PET fermenter and ran my temp sensor cord through that. I used thread seal (plumbers') tape around the cord to make a snug fit then held it in place with electrical tape on the outside of the fermenter. I thought to use a blob of silicone on the outside but didn't have any at hand at the time. Not pressure fermenting. I'm happy with the set up and it's worked well for my three batches so far, but if I'd read this thread I probably would have done what everyone else is saying and taped the probe to the outside.

Thanks guys. I like the tape to the sides and enclose with an old stubbie holder. Done that and seems to be working really well. All good suggestions. I did a quick comparison with it on the side and in the water. There was only a .5 difference.
I like the choice of stubby holder!

Latest posts

Back