Hole In Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
I have my keg fridge now; how can I make a hole in it so I can have my cylinder on the outside of the fridge and the keg on the inside?

Usaully a drill does the trick :p

Drill a small hole thru the outer skin, probe with a small screwdriver to make sure no pipes, then drill right thru

Normell

Make sure the condenser is outside (if there's black coily thing on the back then it's outside).

Drill very carefully just into the inside skin of the fridge where you want the line to go. stick a narrow object into the wall to make sure there a no pipes/wires in the way. Once you're satisfied you're not going to strike oil go for your life.

Be careful when drilling thin material, the drill will want to grab so don't push it too hard.

and if you're still worried about hitting a line then run it through the door

*sigh*

I know I need a drill, but what about sealing the hole, so the cold air doesn't escape?

Silicone is messy/ugly.

Go the rubber grommetsone on the inside wall and one on the outside wall :)

PZ.

P&K,
Don't drill it at all. Just run the lines under the seal at the back. To gas up just open the lid and hit it with some co2. No need to gave the gas connected permanently.
Drill at yor own risk.
Had mine running with lines under the lid with no drilling for years now.
cheers
Darren

I wouldn't bother sealing or using a grommet at all - just drill a neat hole that's a tight fit for the line. The PVC line will hardly ever move and even when it does it's as tough as old boots. Honestly, think how hard it is to cut the stuff! Just do a quick de-burr and put a dab of paint on the cut to inhibit rust.

Wortgames said:
Honestly, think how hard it is to cut the stuff!
[post="88548"][/post]​

Going slightly O/T here, but my knives are well-kept carbon steel...they cut gas line like butter :D

PZ.

Darren said:
P&K,
Don't drill it at all. Just run the lines under the seal at the back. To gas up just open the lid and hit it with some co2. No need to gave the gas connected permanently.
Drill at yor own risk.
Had mine running with lines under the lid with no drilling for years now.
cheers
Darren
[post="88544"][/post]​

Which seal are you referring to? I'm using an upside down fridge, BTW

Drill it. If the fridge is going to permanently be a keg fridge, you don't want to be farting around with the seals. Like wortgames says, drill a straight snug hole and there's no need for a seal.

Peas and korn ,

The best drill for drilling thin metal is a 'Unibit' it is stepped like a pyramid so you get about 10 sizes in one drill it will not snag and tear the thin metal of your fridge .

Pumpy

peas_and_korn said:
*sigh*

I know I need a drill, but what about sealing the hole, so the cold air doesn't escape?
[post="88541"][/post]​

I just use blutack around the hose coming out, seems to do the trick... nice and simple :D

blutak worked for me too. Easy to re-mould if it comes off too.

gasfeed6rv.jpg

Do it right, do it once ;)

PZ.

Hi peas_and_korn

Rather than drill, when I set mine up, I enlarged the drain hole at the back. The drain has a cap on the inside of the fridge & drops on to a tray above the compressor.

The tray was held with 2 screws & was removed while I did the job. I used a piece of tube slightly larger than the gas line & silicone around the outer tube to ensure moisture doesn't get into the lining.

This means when I get my Freezer, I can on sell the fridge without it being full of holes, once I've replaced the door.

Good ideas on drilling a pilot hole & having a poke around before carrying on. That is what I'll do when I get a Freezer, or maybe I'll drill into the side of the lid & run the gas thru & exit near the font. I intend to mount my font on the freezer lid.

Would appreciate feedback on that one myself! B)

Back