Holdfast Pub

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boots

Reaction score
Just had lunch at the "Holdy" today, and damn, I enjoyed the beers.

Tried the:
Belgian Golden Ale (which I would have had to say was more like a wit - am I that bad at tasting? - I had my first try of it and thought "ok", by half way through the pint, I could have sat there all day drinking it :chug:

Dark 1 (Porter) - served way too cold, but once it warmed up was again, absolutely sensational.

Bronze Ale - only got to try a mouthful out of my mates glass, but seemed alright.

Nice to see good micro's - with the reasonably priced and good food, I'll definitely be going back.

ps - the strawberry blonde was'nt on tap at the time so didn't get to try it.

sounds like a good place, havent been to a micro in years, where bouts is it at holdfast bay?

Hey Boots,

Some of the boys after BBD @ Goliaths tomorrow will be heading down there for tea a few more......be good to see ya down there !!!!

Cheers
JSB

I'll be their with bells on come tommorow after BBD.
I have been there twice now while they have been brewing and I love what they have got happening their. When ever iam down that way I always drop in after the G-SPOT
I'd love to brew on that stuff myself as iam sure most of us could pull of some beers of equall quality.
My personal favourite so far was a english ale they did.
The 'dark one' i would do a little different and get more choc/coffee tones from roasted malt and even a little bitterness from black malt.

One thing be perpared to see people order V.B.:ph34r:

I too hope to see you there boots.

Jayse

good beer yah
but do they have toppies jayse? :rolleyes:

Toppies no. But their where same nice looking broads.
Tonite i even sent a beer back because it was just down right %^&&*(*&(.
is JS pilsner ment to taste like crap?
of course not.
anyway we had a great after BBD session with a few lads .

Jayse

I tried some of the Holdie brews at the International Beer Festival yesterday. The Dark, Bronze and Gold, and they were all mighty fine. The nod probably went to the Bronze, though.

On last night's showing i would have to agree Kai. The Bronze would definitely win gold, if you see what I mean.

Well, went to the International Beer Festival.

(rip off and hardly worth it, IMHO)

Tried mostly Oz beers! including the golden and bronze ales from the Holdfast.

They were tasty beers, but for a commercial beer to show chill haze. . .oh well. But on that tasting doubly ready for a session at the Holdie!

Jovial Monk

Sorry JSB, Jayse, and all those that were there on saturday night - Big Brew Day, was Big Family Day for me .....

Hope you had a good time tho .. spoke to Jayse, Ozdevil and JM today at the Internat beer day, and sounded like a good time was had by all.

Had a chance to have a chat with Craig the owner of the Holdfast today, and he's a really good, genuine guy. Props to him - his beers, along with the matilda bay "Alpha Ale" were the standouts of the day.

mmmmmmmmmm. matilada bay alpha ale.

Jayse

jayse said:
mmmmmmmmmm. matilada bay alpha ale.

Jayse
That's one of the two beers I saw on the website that I really wanted to taste (the other was Kingfisher strong - me and Kingfisher go back over a decade).
How was the alpha pale? Is it coming out commercially any time soon?

New mate. it'll be hitting the market real soon so look out for it.
Some of the beer stands where really ordinary and i was dissgusted at seeing people drink bud and crown but each too there own.

Jayse

Alpha Pale is on tap at the Archer.

I too was disappointed by the beer festival. Over-priced beer and food (presumably in an attempt to try to avoid drunken revelry, and to make it look a little more hoity-toity) and tiny food servings (but I could handle this since I needed to try pretty much everything). Beer and food matching was abysmal at times (Crown lager on the Japanese stall? Coopers dark and stout with squid?), and the glasses were perfect if you were planning on drinking Belgian fruit beers all day.

I did, however, enjoy the Holdie beers and the Alpha pale (though I've had that before), and the American hot dogs were great, as was the lamb rogan josh & butter chicken marsala. The brewing seminars were good, too. I caught Nick Sterenberg from Coopers, CUB's Peter Manders and Tim Cooper as well. I must say, the Coopers talks were a lot more populated (and interesting) than the CUB one, though Tim seemed to get a little testy when I pressured him on the Dr Tim's production issues.

wee stu said:
That's one of the two beers I saw on the website that I really wanted to taste (the other was Kingfisher strong - me and Kingfisher go back over a decade).
How was the alpha pale? Is it coming out commercially any time soon?
Wee Stu, Kingfisher and dodgy Vindaloo's go back a long time I believe. :lol:

I had some Kingfisher at an Indian in Chesterfield back in Jan. goes well with curries for sure as does Cobra, another Indian lager.

C&B
TDA

Ah, Cobra - from down south in Bangalore, know it too.

Kingfisher might be the only thing to save a dodgy vinaloo! I had my first Kingfisher with a sumptuous Fish Curry in Kerala, South India in 1988. Never quite tasted the same since, but always tasted good.

I still go there occasionally for lunch and whether it's my tastes getting more discerning, or something has changed, but i never touch their beers anymore.

There was an aweful large amount of variation from batch to batch - and none of that variation was for the better.

The bronze ale which i initially really enjoyed became not worth touching also.

...and don't even get me started on their "Red Devil" fruit beer ..... <_<

I nearly cry every time i go there, coz it's a cool little micro that they're wasting.

*sigh*

The Holdfast Dark Ale is on tap and drinking well. They also have Hofbrau Dunkel on tap and it is a really nice malt driven beer. $4 for 425mls. The Hofbrau Hefe is also on tap at the same price.

C&B
TDA

Back