Hoegarden Yeast

• Thread starter phantom
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

phantom

Anyone cultured this yeast from a bottle?
If so how did it perform and was the resulting brew what you,d intended flava wise.

I haven't used the yeasst from the bottle, but I believe wyeast sell the same strain.

Yes, have used it and it worked OK. This is about 8 years ago though and I've heard a rumour that the bottling strain has changed.

BB did the same, he may have some recollections to offer.

tdh

I was going to start a thread re: Hoegaarden beer after regularly sampling it at the Belgian Beer Cafe in Prahan.

What extract's and other ingredients are required to make a Hoegaarden-like brew?

Good site that one morry!

One question I have...sounds a bit silly in asking it. The brews that have other ingredients instead of the sugar, where does the alcohol come from..the malts etc?

Depends which Hoegaarden beer you're trying to imitate:

Hoegaarden White, Grand Cru or Special: WY3944 or WLP400 will do fine.

Hoegaarden Forbidden Fruit: WY1214 or WLP550.

Those would be my choices anyway. Much more reliable than trying to cultivate yeast from a bottle.

rodderz said:
Good site that one morry!

One question I have...sounds a bit silly in asking it. The brews that have other ingredients instead of the sugar, where does the alcohol come from..the malts etc?
;) Its not a silly question!Its a question from a person who wants to learn and is unafraid to ask.Basically malt is the sugars from germinated barley and provides nutrients for yeast to feed on,add hops for bitterness,flava and aroma,as well as preservative properties and you have beer.
Sugars like sucrose,dextrose andother adjuncts add alchohol and effect body and mouthfeel without doing much for flava(ie,a cheap way to boost alc content).I don,t think they belong in beer ,but thats just a personal opinion :p

rod,

Just noticed youre in melbourne. If you live anywhere near the western suburbs, Id recommend going over to Grain and Grape (The link I gave you is there website) and having a chat with them. They stock all the good stuff to make great beer.

If its too far, check out one over your side.

morry said:
rod,

Just noticed youre in melbourne. If you live anywhere near the western suburbs, Id recommend going over to Grain and Grape (The link I gave you is there website) and having a chat with them. They stock all the good stuff to make great beer.

If its too far, check out one over your side.
I do alot of work over in the west..could drop in there one day

The closest one to me i know of is 1 in heidelberg (i'm in bundoora) and there is one in Plenty Lane Greensborough Homebrew Supplies. Havent been to either so unsure how well stocked they are

Phantom...thanks for that mate! Learn something new everyday!

I've not cultured up Hoegaarden yeast, but I've recently had good results with Grand Ridge Natural Blonde. This beer is very much in the Belgian Wit style, and the yeast was very easy to culture up. I'm bottling the resulting all-grain batch this weekend and it tastes very good out of the secondary fermenter. All the applicably yeast-related flavours seem to be there, so I'm confident the yeast is an authentic Belgian Wit strain, perhaps even the same one used in Hoegaarden. I'd expect that locally bought Natural Blonde would be fresher than imported Hoegaarden, so culturing might prove easier.

scrogster said:
I've not cultured up Hoegaarden yeast, but I've recently had good results with Grand Ridge Natural Blonde. This beer is very much in the Belgian Wit style, and the yeast was very easy to culture up. I'm bottling the resulting all-grain batch this weekend and it tastes very good out of the secondary fermenter. All the applicably yeast-related flavours seem to be there, so I'm confident the yeast is an authentic Belgian Wit strain, perhaps even the same one used in Hoegaarden. I'd expect that locally bought Natural Blonde would be fresher than imported Hoegaarden, so culturing might prove easier.
[post="63938"][/post]​

Scrogster,
I'm currently using the yeast cultured from a Grand Ridge Blonde (nice beer too) and man it smells sulphury during primary fermentation..did your brew have this as well?

Bazza said:
scrogster said:
[post="63938"][/post]​

Scrogster,
I'm currently using the yeast cultured from a Grand Ridge Blonde (nice beer too) and man it smells sulphury during primary fermentation..did your brew have this as well?
[post="68321"][/post]​
From memory the grand ridge blonde doesn't have the fruitiness of a belgian wit and has an almost sour edge.

Hi all,
I recently cultured some yeast from the Hoegaarden Grand Cru, which I have read on tis site, is the same as the White beer yeast (Which to be honest I find surprising), nevertheless, the yeast smelt weird and variable, over the 2 weeks or so I built it up, and I was ready to throw it out, however on tasting the starter it tasted really nice, so, I will be willing to give it a go. I guess my point is don't be put off too much by weird and wonderful smells etc, the yeast may still be doing the right thing by you wort..

Cheers

Case

Re my experience with Grand Ridge Natural Blonde yeast.

1. I got no sulfury-type smells or flavours during fermentation.

2. Yes, it is rather sour and not particulary fruity, but I would have said a little sourness/tartness is not out of place in a Belgian Wit, and certainly makes for
a refreshing, quaffable brew.

The resulting beer is pretty good anyway, it is a little watery, but that has more to do with me missing target temperatures in the mash than any problems with the yeast I think. I've never brewed with Hoegaarden yeast, or the equivalent White Labs/Wyeast strain, so I can't really comment on whether they would give different results. Might brew another Wit with ones of these yeasts once the weather warms up a little.

Cheers,

Scrogster.

Back