Hoegaarden Variation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodderz

Reaction score
Gday guys

I've done a few coopers can and brew enhancer kits, now I'm starting to branch out a bit into using better ingredients, yeasts and so forth. As a complete surprise after much whining from the missus about spending too much time with brewing, leaving bottles everywhere etc she went out and bought me a Hoegaarden kit from the local HBS for easter

The base is a 3Kg can of ESB Bavarian Wheat
20gms Corriander, crushed
Rind of 3 oranges
Hershbrucker plug

Instructions:

bring 3Lt water to boil
add hops & boil for 30mins
Add corriander and orange zest, simmer for 5 mins
Add to wort with ESB kit
Pitch yeast at 20-25C

Does this combo and method sound ok? Probably brew it in the next week or so

I have used that kit once before and it came up quite nicely. I would recommend not adding as much water as it probably says on the can.

Crush your own corriander rather than using powder. If you can get the bitter cooking orange then go for it, otherwise use the orange zest.

Cheers sosman

I noticed at the supermarket there was both corriander seeds (whole) and crushed. I'll get the seeds and keep an eye out for some quality oranges!

To avoid getting a over-the-top bubblegum aroma from a wheat beer, pitch the yeast when the wort is at 12c and keep the ferment from going over 18C

Jovial Monk

Back