Hoegaarden Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theredone

Reaction score
ok so ive got the recipe i want to try and its calling for seville orranges. at my local fruit store the lady said she does not get them and has only heard of the town "seville" in spain but knows nothing of the orranges. she said the closest thing she has is valincia orranges which are also from spain and she said they are a little more acidic than your normal orranges so this might be what homebrewers are looking for in spanish orranges. if all else fails i have bought some mandarins that can be used as a substitute but from my understanding they are well 2nd best to orranges.

found some cumin and corriander just need the malts yeast and orrange

thanks guys

You can often find the seville orange peel at Asian groceries, but I generally just use the peel from the orange tree in my backyard doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference to me. Cumin will be an interesting addition are you just adding the seed?

cheers

grant

I think I konw the recipe you're refering to, I was looking for the same oranges but was unable to find any. I just used the bitter dry peel from G&G, come out great.

You can often find the seville orange peel at Asian groceries, but I generally just use the peel from the orange tree in my backyard doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference to me. Cumin will be an interesting addition are you just adding the seed?

cheers

grant

yeah its crushed corri seeds and 2g of cumin seeds so yeah id say just throw em in there

I have used Valencia oranges for a Wit and it was OK. Navel peels are too sweet.

I would recommend the Valencias.

corriander seeds you get from the local urbermarket are also not great corriander seeds. your better off getting it from an indian or asian grocer.

seville orange is what the UK call it. otherwise known as bitter orange.

The Indian Coriander is a lot nicer in beer than the European stuff. The seeds are larger, and more oblong.

You can get it at your local Indian grocery store.

Disclaimer: All of the above is hearsay, as I've never actually brewed with these particular spices.

I think I konw the recipe you're refering to, I was looking for the same oranges but was unable to find any. I just used the bitter dry peel from G&G, come out great.

me too

i've done a few of these.

i use the dried bitter orange peel i got from G&G. mainly because i still have some to use.
and yes, indian shop coriander IS better. in cooking, too.

but mainly, USE A BAG. your tap will totally block up if you just toss that shit in there.
put it in a hop bag, boil it in the usual (2? 5 litres?) of wort for (10?20? mins) and the move the bag into the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back