Hoegaarden Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubes

Reaction score
As i don't have a local stockist of Wyeast I am after the best yeast choice for a Hoey clone. Any experience on using WLP 400 or 410 or another? Probably will have to use WLP400 now anyway as the platinum strain might be hard to source but for future reference....

Also any clues as to what would be a "safe" amount of plain white flour to add to a mash of 3 KG JW pilsner malt and wheat flakes and 0.3KG oats. Seen some recipes that use 3KG of flour but I don't fancy making wallpaper paste!

If you use 400 (actually this probably applies to all of them), make sure you keep the temperature right down. I did a Wit with this a couple of weeks ago, but fermented it at about 24C due to lack of temperature control. Unfortunately it's full of mental phenols and I can't taste much else. :(

For the wheat you could use TF Torrefied wheat?

Indeed flour. From the other Australian brewing site ;) I was skeptical too but after thinking about it all it really is is very finely crushed unmalted wheat. Admittedly the recipe advocated the use of rice hulls to avoid a stuck sparge but it was for 3KG. I was hoping to do this "on the cheap". Flour is pretty damn cheap and available everywhere. Puffed or flaked wheat is a little harder to come by and I don't seem to have a pet food store that has chook feed. If it works, hell I'll give it a go.

flour hey? keep all informed if you give this a try rubes.im curious.

cheers
big d

Rubes,

Lowan foods(canary yellow packet) stock flaked wheat in most coles stores and some woolies stores too.

for my 2 bob's worth.

I think that Rajotte, in his book from the Classic Beer series, recommends the use of flour in one of his Witbier recipes.

Never done this myself, but have used flaked wheat and rolled oats (both from Lowan) in a partial mash Wit.

if you want to use flour, use the cheapest Homebrand flour you can find: practically no gluten & protein makes this flour crap for cooking but great for brewing

Jovial Monk

Used 200G of Homebrand flour.

2.2KG JW Pilsner Malt
1.0KG Lowan Cracked Wheat
1.0KG health food shop Rolled Wheat flakes
200G Plain flour
250G Rolled oats

No stuck mash but I did get shithouse efficiency. Was aiming for 75% but only got 60%. I have just changed my manifold so it better not be that - the last 4 brews have been pretty reliable. I'll find out next brew I suppose.

I managed to get some wheat in the end so used the flour just to make up the difference from the standard packet sizes I had hence 200G. It works well for that.

I use 45% "Coarse gorund semolina flour" for my wit
50% - pils malt
5% rolled oats

The flour has a crush size of abour 0.5mm and I've had no problem with the sparge......

You can find it in bulk at any Italian type market.....

Asher for now

Rubes,

You gennerally find with wit beers brewed with more unmalted grains i.e. ~50% unmalted wheat (flour, flaked wheat etc) that you are down on efficiency since you have less enzymes for conversion in the Mash. Some people substitue some malted wheat and use less unmalted wheat, eg use 50% pils malt, 20% malted wheat, 30% unmalted, however, given we're not brewing for econmics, taking a hit on efficiency really doesnt matter.

Cheers.

Just to clarify- the difference between flaked wheat and torrified (?) wheat is what?
Not so much from a brewing/efficiency stand point, just- what are we talking about here? Honey Smacks style puffed wheat, or Wheaties style rolled wheat?

Wheaties or Weetbix are flaked style wheat, and Puffed wheat is torrefied.

It's now beer o'clock and I must visit the lhbs for supplies B4 I go to the Queens Wharf Brewery for the evening.

Sethule out

Back