Hoegaarden ? Have I Added Too Much Orange

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathanR

Reaction score
I have a strong orange smell coming from the air lock

I got a hoegaarden black rock kit

I made this kit on the 10/1/10 and it has been 3 days in the fementer

wispering wheat tin
1 kg dry wheat malt
15g corrieander seeds
yeast 06 somthing
zest of 2 oranges (it said 2 table spoons of dry peal)

put malt ,corrieander, orange in a pot to boil for 15 mins then add tin and rest for 15 mins

then poured it all into fementer as it said on the instrustions to 21lt

pitched yeast @ 18 deg

I now am wondering if i should of added the orange peal to the fementer or should I have strained it out

What are your thaughts on this ? have I done somthing wrong ?

The times I brewed pretty much exactly what you have there I strained out the orange peel, I used 30g (dry weight). The yeast would have ben WB-06? Hows it taste?

i wouldnt corry, it will be a combination of the corriander and orane peel thats making it smell so orangey. once it finishes fermentation, yeast drops out it will be well balanced. ;)

havent given it a taste yet , still bubbling away and fementing at 16deg trying my hardest to get this one right as it is my birthday present / beer

+1, I wouldn't worry too much, if your super pranoid then draw off a sample and have a sneaky taste. The fermentation will drive off some of the aroma

I will leave it to do its thing and give it a taste on the weekend by the sounds of things I have nothing to worry about

Thanks for the help

i wouldnt corry, it will be a combination of the corriander and orane peel thats making it smell so orangey. once it finishes fermentation, yeast drops out it will be well balanced. ;)

I brewed this one last year and had the same orange aroma coming through the airlock after not removing the orange zest or corriander seeds., i used one orange though, but should settle down after fermenting as 4* said. It turned out to be a nice drop, not really hoegaarden-ish though just a nice wit beer. hope you have it in the fridge for fermenting coz this weekends gonna be a stinka in perth!!

I did this exact kit last year (one of the last before switching to AG) and it turned out really great!

My orange zest (2 largish oranges) was a little fine so a fair whack ended up in the fermenter, but that's where it ended up settling and bugger all ended up in the bottle.

From memory - this one needs a little time in the bottle for the flavours to settle as the corriander tasted quite strong early on.

Will be a good one - enjoy :beerbang:

Dan

Back