Hoegaarden Forbidden Fruit Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanator

Reaction score
Hey,
I just had a Hoegaarden Forbidden Fruit beer and it was one of the best beers I've ever tasted. I was just wondering if anyone had tried making this with a kit and had any success?

I've tried once. It tasted nice but not like Hoegaarden Forbidden Fruit.

A recipe would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Hoegaarden_Forbidden_Fruit_Beer.JPG

i like Grand Cru beter myself.....
but i doubt there is much chance of recreating either with a kit...
(i've been wrong once before though....?!?!?)

I spent 6 months and a ton of money trying to replicate Rochefort 10 using extract. I came very close but it was a very exspensive venture. I suggest if you are interested in Belgians you shoud try Ag.

If you like that then try Trios Pistoles - .

There is a recipe for either trios Pistoles or Forbidden Fruit in the book beer captured - cant remember which one though.

Riggers' Forbidden Fruit

This recipe is taken from the Grain & Grape website.
Enhanced Kit Version
Whilst Belgian abbey or trappist beers are very different they lend themselves very well to kit brewing and it is possible to make a reasonable approximation.
I suggest starting out by purchasing a good quality Amber or Nut Brown Ale kit. There are numerous choices of brands and the quality of the kits are generally excellent and the final decision is yours. Usually I suggest using malt extracts rather than all dextrose or sugar, however in this case I recommend using a mixture of both which is required to develop the distinctive flavour profile of this beer. Use 1.25kgs of light malt extract, plus 250gms of wheat malt extract, 250gms of CSR Golden Syrup and 250gms of coffee sugar crystals, the addition of these adjuncts will assist in pushing the alcohol level to the required range and will contribute the residual sweetness characteristic of this beer.
Now the hopping; - there isnt any alteration required! An Ale kit will be well bitter enough (in fact it is over bitter really, but the addition of the sugars and extra malt extract and therefore increased alcohol levels together with the residual sweetness should counteract the bitterness).
In this particular style some additions will be required in the fermenter toward the end of fermentation to contribute the distinctive spicy fruity flavour required. I suggest adding 6gms of freshly crushed coriander seeds and the zest of half an orange.
Follow the usual kit method for the remainder of the brew.

Malt Extract & Mini Mash Version
Base Malt - 3.0kg Light Malt Extract (Preferably dry)
1.0kg Amber Malt extract
250gms Light Wheat Malt Extract
250gms CSR Golden Syrup
250gms Coffee Sugar Crystals
Mini mash grains - 600gms German Melanoidin Malt
400gms German Cara Dunkel (Dark Crystal Malt)

Put half a litre of cold water in a saucepan and add grains and heat up VERY SLOWLY (over a 25 to 30 minute period) until just short of boiling. Strain the liquid into your fermenter, and discard the grain residue.

Hops Hops are almost a token in this stye, required only to prevent the beer from being cloyingly sweet. For bittering aim at around 20 IBU's using virtually any hops you may have lying around, I would use Styrian Goldings but it really isnt important, quantity will vary depending on the %AA (alpha acid) of the hops selected. Grain & Grape staff will be happy to do the calculations for you. Hop flavour and aroma are not required for this style.
Total boil time should be 90 minutes with the bittering hops boiled for only 60 minutes.
Yeast - There is only one - Wyeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit.

Hope this helps.

Ryanator .

You could refer to the G&G article on this beer for a starting point..

Forbidden fruit

Cheers

Borret

Brent-anomyces Bruxellensis.

Ya beat a Mexican to the draw. :beer:

Warren -

Thanks guys.

That gives me a good starting point. My recipe was a looooong way off. It tasted fruity but didn't have enough bite. Just mildly fruity.

Cheers.

P.S. Just bottled an Oatmeal Stout. Results are looking (tasting) promising.

Remember to use the right yeast...

Some deviations taht i will do when i make this kits and bits recipe...
Use Dark Brown Sugar instead of coffee crystals.

Will sub some Amber Malt grains instead of using Amber Liquid Malt.
Will also add some puffed wheat/raw wheat.

Hope this helps.

GMK,

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but is the puffed wheat the breakfast cereal type?

It's just I've always heard about it but never used it.

Back