Hobgoblin Recipe With Kit+extract?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyane

Reaction score
I've seen the thread here and tried a variation of the one on the Coopers site ... has anyone got a recipe they use that's better?

Used Briess Sparkling Amber (1kg dry) instead of the type in the recipe. Used 2 x coopers kit yeast and final volume of 26L so as to get 20 x 1.25L bottles (yeah i'm too under resourced for lauter tuns and kegs).

OG 1042
FG 1010

Bottled 11th day and (wicked child *smack*) sampled one at only 16 days .... it is bloody lovely!
.... but .... nothing like a Hobgobblin. WAY darker. And the malt is too pronounced.

Any other suggestions (while keeping this in the realms of kit and shit)?

Methinks some hops need to be moved into the boil rather all dryhopped. Maybe an English ale yeast?

I've seen the thread here and tried a variation of the one on the Coopers site ... has anyone got a recipe they use that's better?

Used Briess Sparkling Amber (1kg dry) instead of the type in the recipe. Used 2 x coopers kit yeast and final volume of 26L so as to get 20 x 1.25L bottles (yeah i'm too under resourced for lauter tuns and kegs).

OG 1042
FG 1010

Bottled 11th day and (wicked child *smack*) sampled one at only 16 days .... it is bloody lovely!
.... but .... nothing like a Hobgobblin. WAY darker. And the malt is too pronounced.

Any other suggestions (while keeping this in the realms of kit and shit)?

Methinks some hops need to be moved into the boil rather all dryhopped. Maybe an English ale yeast?
Just to begin with, if you really don't want to get into steeping grains (which is exceedingly simple, especially if you are already doing a bit of a boil for the hops), then having a look at the hops in some of those recipes and adding them into the boil will bring another element besides just the malt flavour from the extract.
English ale yeast of some sort, dry or liquid, is a must in my book.

If you are willing/able to have a try of steeping grains then you could take almost any of the recipes in that AHB thread, substitute extract for the pale malt (there are calculators around to assist in how much etc. ) and still steep the grains to get the specialty malt character.

Yeah, I came across the same Coopers recipe and wanted to give that a go.

I used:
1 x can Thomas Coopers IPA can (I needed to get rid of it. :p )
1kg x amber LME
1kg x 'ultra brew' from my brew store (Dry Malt + Dextrose + dry corn syrup, if memory serves)
500g x Stout grain pack
1 x Safale US-05 (I wanted to go for an English ale yeast but I also wanted to use what was on hand)

Hops:
Pellets of both EKGs and Fuggles.
I read a few recipes that said not to worry about flavour and aroma hops and they just boiled all their hops for the 60 minutes.
Figured I'd be dry hopping so I'd get aroma out of my hops either way and decided I may as well give that a go.

I steeped my stout grains, gave them a good squeeze and started the boil then added my hops. I did all my hops just in the stout grains. No LME or DME.
Reason: I was told on a youtube video (I watch many, I can't tell you exactly which it was) that doing all your hops in a lower gravity gives a better result. You get a better extract ratio.

Bottling day is Mon or Tue (depends on my readings).
I got an S.G. of 1.046. I was hoping for a little higher, but that's okay.

I'll have a small taster while I'm bottling and report back. :)
It smells so good!!

So I opened two tonight.

Very nice on the nose. Nice slight coffee taste, very good body. Tastes extremely fresh!
I love it!!