Hobart What To See And Do Beer Wise Besides The Cascade Tour?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murcluf

The Mystical Meerkat
Reaction score
I'm taking the family down to Hobart on Wednesday for 5 days and want to know what to see and do beer wise besides the Cascade tour? Any good pubs/micros around Hobart to check out, been told to go up to Norfolk and check the hop gardens as well even though now isn't the best time to go.

Any pointer will be very much appreicated

Cheers

Moo Brew @ Moorilla Estate, Berriedale

Ummm... can't think of much else at the moment. I think Moo should be doing tours now, give them a call.

did the Cascade tour a few months ago - was really good.

Also went to Moorilla estate. Really nice lunch and tried all the beers including the $35 imperial stout. Very nice.

No mention of tours though...

Theres not really much else in Hobart, beer wise.. You could check out the Lark Distillery in Hobart if you're interested in that sort of thing.. they definitely do tours there. I even saw packages where you help out for the day and get to take home some of the whisky you made..

Suggest you check out the New Sydney Hotel, should be down there myself Thursday.

Iron House is up the East Coast (about 2.5 hour drive), so if you are up that way definitely call in! If not, some pubs have their Pale on tap, including New Sydney Hotel in Hobart.

Do pack lots of warm clothes! Snow on the Mountain at the moment, which means it's chilly.

As others have said, Moorilla is worth it. I'm sure if you look lovingly at some of the brewers they might open the door and let you have a look! Owen is pretty down to earth, so depending on the day he might be able to show you round.

Very limited offerings beer wise unfortunately, but there are a few good places to settle in for a pint or 2! Just sit back and enjoy. :chug:

Cheers,

Morrie

EDIT: Beat me to it IanH. Woo Hoo - post 100 is on the board!

Not sure whether or not they will let you bring Meerkats into Tassie

:rolleyes:

Just added Moo Brew to the to do list, I thought it was in the north of the island orginally, but now I know it is in Hobart, Think I'll have to bring a bottle of imperial home if I'm lucky. Well it is Fathers Day Sunday ...hint hint ;)

Just added Moo Brew to the to do list, I thought it was in the north of the island orginally, but now I know it is in Hobart, Think I'll have to bring a bottle of imperial home if I'm lucky. Well it is Fathers Day Sunday ...hint hint ;)

Another vote here for the New Sydney Hotel. Doesn't look like much from the outside, but a beer lovers pub inside.

If you can't make it to the breweries themselves, Coolwine Cellars has a good selection of local micros (7 Sheds, Iron House, Moo Brew), other Australia micros, and imports. The owner knows the Moo Brew guys.

Lark Distillery has a nice little bar in the middle of town. When I was there last month they had Moo Brew on a beer engine as well as all that whisky!

There used to be a small micro-brewery at the St Ives hotel on Sandy bay Rd in Hobart. i think from memory they brewed the Hazards Ale?? Don't know if it's still in operation but anyway. And if you're going t Moorilla, New Norfolk is only another 30 or so minutes along the Derwent, should be able to see the old hop kiln's around there somewhere, maybe ask a local when you get there. Have a good trip mate!!

Not beer related, but if you grab a car, it is a worth a drive out to Richmond - along the Coal Valley Wine trail - some excellent wineries along there (Puddle Duck, Meadowbank, Pooley's - just to name a few) and you can work it in so that you loop back via Morrilla to check out the MooBrew.

As others have said the Cascade tour is well worth it. The New Sydney Hotel is very good and I enjoyed a couple of the pubs down near Salamanca Place as well.

Salamanca markets is also worth a wander on the weekend.

Cheers,

Brendo

New Sydney for me as well. Plenty to choose from on tap and warm fire. Food O.K. as well.

Meadowbank and surrounding vinyards are also very nice.

I got an Oyster beer from Barilla Bay oysters, which is just near the airport. That place is worth a visit too. Bit touristy but still lots of nice, but expensive, local produce

+1 for Barilla Bay oysters. Plus you can buy them cheap and they will box them up so you can take them home on the plane - live or shucked. Very good!

Love Hobart, lived there for a couple of years. Just find a nice bar (not hard), get cosy next to the fire and drink.

Got to say I'm loving it so far down hre in Hobart so much to see and do, ave hardly scratched the surface. Went to Cascade for the tour today must say I'd highly recommend it to anyone who comes down for a visit, its a must do took heaps of photos. The beers were very easy to drink and got a real kick out of having first harvest off the tap, very nice indeed. Saw some interesting sights on the tour including a fridge door that had a sign that said US-05 and on another said amarillo hmmmm that started to get me thinking. One thing that did suprise me was the size of the operation it seem smaller then I thought it would be, but a eck of a lot bigger then I got....

All in All I'm having a ball and have a moo brew or two for you tomorrow

Cheers

Back