Hobart Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ivars said:
I was wondering if I could somehow have a copy of the Launceston report? Failing that perhaps you could let me have the email address you used? Don't really know where to start. :wacko:
Pm me your email and I'll send the spreadsheets I have been using. Not up to date but it doesn't change that much. Tried uploading but had no luck...

Not For Horses said:
Pm me your email and I'll send the spreadsheets I have been using. Not up to date but it doesn't change that much. Tried uploading but had no luck...
Done, thanks very much for your help.

Craftbrewer, MHB, or try the HBS if you are in Ulverstone. They sometimes have brewing salts their, although they were from THBS and given the unfortunate avents of late, they may not have any. I can check here as well.
Cheers
LB

BilBrewing said:
TasWater were quick!

Here are my findings should anyone else want to use them.

Alkalinity CaCO3- 9mg/L
Calcium - 5.11mg/L
Calcium Hardness - 128mg/L
Chloride - 6.4mg/L
Magnesium - 1.08mg/L
Magnesium (Dissolved) - 4.4mg/L
Sodium - 3.89mg/L
Sulphate - 3.6mg/L

pH tests over the last fin year were performed 53 times with readings from 6.33 to 7.69 with an average of 7.0611.

Anyone know of any good software or calculator to use to calculate salt additions?
Some of these numbers appear to be incorrect.

Mg (diss) cannot be greater than Mg and the hardness looks way too high, it is calculated from the Mg and Ca, hardness = 2.5(Ca2+) + 4.1(Mg2+), using the higher numbers for Ca and Mg I get 28 mg CaCO3/L.

I am planning a BiAB and will be adding 1g of CaSO4 and 0.5g MgSO4 per 5L.

Glenos,

Thanks for reviewing the numbers. A sanity check is always helpful.

I reviewed the report that i got from TasWater and found:

1. Calcium hardness was 12.8, not 128 as i originally posted. This was only measured once in a year.
2. The Mg numbers are correct but again, these were only measured once in a year, so the plausible explanation is that they were measured at different times.

Either way the water is pretty free of most salts/ions so that should provide a good base to make addition calcs off.

The dissolved Mg looks too high, should be about 1.5mg/L. I would say the SO4 and Cl are a bit low on that sample but it will depend on the time of year the sample was taken and which part of the system it was from, although all of Hobart is pretty consistant.

As I have advised people in the past, assume there is bugger all there and aim for the bottom end of the water chem you are trying to hit.

TasWater were quick!

Here are my findings should anyone else want to use them.

Alkalinity CaCO3- 9mg/L
Calcium - 5.11mg/L
Calcium Hardness - 128mg/L
Chloride - 6.4mg/L
Magnesium - 1.08mg/L
Magnesium (Dissolved) - 4.4mg/L
Sodium - 3.89mg/L
Sulphate - 3.6mg/L

pH tests over the last fin year were performed 53 times with readings from 6.33 to 7.69 with an average of 7.0611.

Anyone know of any good software or calculator to use to calculate salt additions?

Sorry to bring up a old thread, but its the only thing I could find relevant to Hobart.

I got a copy of water report from Taswater last year but I couldn't find the minerals on the report like on the above that BilBrewing posted.

Does anyone know if what BilBrewing posted about Hobarts Water report is still relevant?

Im looking to use Ezy Calc as everyone suggested and was wondering for example where its states calcium 5.11 mg/l when entering it on ezy calc is that 5.11 ppm? or is ppm something different to mg/l?

Thanks!!

Latest posts

Back