Hobart Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a precise scale (.05g accuracy) for measuring my salts.
If you like I could measure out a metric teaspoon and let you know how much its weighs.
Then you can use ezy water calc (highly recommend you download and use) and figure out exactly how many teaspoons you need for various brews. It won't be highly accurate but it will be better than using none at all.

link for ezy water calc http://www.ezwatercalculator.com

Google says 8g to a metric teaspoon.

Ezywatercalc says 4g should do me with my Big W pot size brews.

So half a teaspoon it is.

Thanks!

Oh, it says Hobart is a little low on magnesium - how big a deal is that?

Weighing it out is a much better option. A set of digital scales accurate to 0.1g is only $5-10 on ebay.

Don't worry about magnesium, there's enough in the barley itself.

Hmmm, seems there are difference between crushed, powdered, pulverized and solid forms of gypsum when it comes to weight/volume - I'll go with what the homebrew forums say (I was looking at something more scientific without paying enough attention).

I'll go with a whole teaspoon from the looks.

Not For Horses said:
I checked google as well and found multiple pages stating 4g/teaspoon.

Great thread. I have been wondering about the Hobart water profile and couldn't find anything on the Tas Water website.
I'd better gypsum up! Thanks.

Yep, thanks for letting me know. I knew the water was soft but I've only done one full all grain since moving down here.

spryzie said:
Oh, it says Hobart is a little low on magnesium - how big a deal is that?
None at all. Mg provides some use in metabolic activity during fermentation but there is enough Mg in grain to not be bothered adding it as a salt to the liquor.

You can ask taswater but you may need to be very insistent.
I've got a contact for the guy that does the testing but I'll have to get it when I'm back in the office.

I simply just emailed TasWater with my enquiry and got a very quick response. If you have no luck obtaining the info i'll pm you the contact that emailed me.

I wouldnt mind your contact. I have tried numerous times here in Burnie, but to no avail. Dont even get a reply from them.
LB

I emailed asked for Lilydale and Launceston (St Pat's) and they replied with the reports is less than 24 hours. Doesn't help you much for Burnie though. :p

MOD: Gents I've moved this to the Water subforum, as it's not really a club-related thread, but rather an ingredients related thread.

MOD: Gents, I've moved this back, per a very reasonable request from a Tassie based brewer. Basically, the idea of the Tas Brewers Club subforum is to gather Tassie based material, which will (given how small Tas is) get lost in the forum.

Guy's,

what is the best stage to add Gypsum? Pre mash, Post mash pre boil, during the boil??

Cheers,

Fozz

Thanks hyjak 71.

I have plugged in a grain bill in ezy water calc & adjusted the gypsum ok. As mentioned above, the magnesium is still low, as also mentioned above, the grain has plenty of magnesium.

Q1 are the calcs taking the magnesium content of the grain bill into account?
Q2 assuming the answer to Q1 is no, what would the outcome be if I added 5mg of epsom salts to the mash water? This brings the magnesium to 15ppm, mid range.

A1 I believe not but not 100% on that.
A2 Piss all besides a slight decrease in PH.

Kudzu said:
I emailed asked for Lilydale and Launceston (St Pat's) and they replied with the reports is less than 24 hours. Doesn't help you much for Burnie though. :p
I was wondering if I could somehow have a copy of the Launceston report? Failing that perhaps you could let me have the email address you used? Don't really know where to start. :wacko:

Back