Hobart Microbreweries

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotsdalebrewery

Reaction score
G'day folks!

Have booked my flight for the test match in Hobart this year and would like to know of any breweries in and around Hobart. I do remember one in Sandy Bay that had Hazards Ale and a couple of others but that was a few years ago and I wasnt paying too much attention back then.

Cheers!

Tasmania
Cascade Brewery Co Pty Ltd Division of Carlton & United Breweries
PO Box 1493, Hobart, Tas 7001
tele: +61 3 6221 8300

J Boag & Son Brewing
PO Box 877, Launceston, Tas 7250
tele: +61 3 6332 6332

Dark Isle Brewery Managing Director Andrew Buechner
Unit 4/61-63 Chapel Street
Glenorchy. Tas 7010 tele: +61 3 6273 7788
[email protected]

Moorilla Estate Brewery Brewer Owen Johnson mobile: 0400 126 015
655 Main Road, Berriedale
tele: +61 3 6277 9900. fax: +61 3 6249 4093 www.moorilla.com.au

St Ives Brewery Co Pty Ltd Brewer Ken Holmes
69 St Georges Terrace, Battery Point, Tas 7004
tele: +61 3 6223 3655

Wineglass Bay Brewing Pty Ltd Brewers Ken Holmes & Claudio Radenti
C/o Freycinet Vineyard, RMB 100, Swansea Tas 7190

As far as I know that is all the breweries in Tasmania. I have heard of a development going on in Hobart or being planned where they are going to install a good size micro also but I dont know where that is at. Wineglass make the Hazards Ale.

Enjoy the trip!

Visited Cascade brewery a few years ago when I was there with the navy, Nice old building but thats about it.

I've also been to CUB as well, don't get me started there.................

Anyway back to topic.

Ken Holmes has handed his side of the Hazards Ale operation to another person just recently. I work with his son.... Friendly family too :). I used to get a few stubbies free of charge. Naturally fermented in the bottle.

Dark Isle brewery is also known as Brew by you (brewbyyou.com.au)
They have six 60L kettles and anyone off the street can brew their own style with malt extract and steeping grains at a good price depending on alcohol content.

A few work mates and myself have made a some beers this way, but I prefer AG.

Cascade give you a tour of their brewery while Moorilla have just expanded their operation at Berriedale. (Just down the road from me)

Paul has a lot of local brewing establishment knowledge down this way :)

edit: more info

yes, test cricket in hobart. cant wait. ill admit i dont get out much, so knowing whats on tap where is not my strong suit.
also, i havent been to st. ives, but i thought they stopped brewing a while ago. ill have to check that out.
the dark isle web site is up and that has a listing of pubs that stock their beer. you can also pick up most of their brews at the brewery/brew-your-own/homebrew shop (brew by you).
and lastly, the lark distillery near the waterfront had wineglass bay on tap (the hazards ale), but that was about a year ago.
joe

Hey, thanks Mercs Own,
I'm planning a trip to Tassie as well but I want to go at the start of hop picking.
Any contacts you can recommend in that department?

Tangent, there is a Beer and Hop festival around March if I remember correctly to celebrate the hop harvest (do a search on google and you should find it). Its at Bushy Park (big hop growing area), could be worth a look although I have never actually been free on the right weekend to go.

As far as micros in Tassie, not a lot. I think those that have been outlined above are it. Moorillas the newest and probably the only real true micro. St Ives no longer produce their own beers which is disappointing-they now cater for teeny boppers with their Boags St. George and anything that comes premixed in pretty bottles. Shame though as they had half a dozen beers or so.

Anyway, hope it helps.
Justin

I was lucky enough to go on a hop tour of Bushy park earlier this year and watched the hops get harvested. I then went through processing, sorting and the drying rooms and finally the pelletising area. It was great!! I dont know if they do that kind of tour to the public as I was there as a special guest with some brewers from Tooheys.

Give Bushy park a call and see what the story is. The link below is for Australian Hop Marketers they oversee Bushy park and others as you will see.

http://www.ahm.com.au/

What time of the year do they do the processing in Tassie?
Am I correct in thinking it is around April? Wouldnt mind having a look at that myself as Im the process of organising a holiday to Tassie at the moment.
Will have to stall things for a while. :)

Latest posts

Back