Hobart Grain Order

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnomebrewer

Reaction score
I'm after some english crystal malt, pale chocolate and carabohemian (if I can get it). Postage from the mainland is prohibitive, so I'm considering ordering 25Kg bags through one of the brewshops. I don't want the full bags, so am looking for interest in splitting them into 5Kg batches. I'd expect the cost to be about $15 for 5Kg (based on previous bags of grain I've ordered). I'm looking to order the following:

Dark Crystal (Thomas Fawcett, Simpsons or Bairds)
Mediam Crystal (Thomas Fawcett, Simpsons or Bairds)
Weyermann Carabohemian
Pale chocolate malt (Thomas Fawcett or Bairds)

Let me know if you're interested in taking 5Kg (or more) of one of these malts.
I'll be ordering them if I can sell off at least half of each bag (payment on collection). It normally takes a couple of weeks for grains to arrive.

When are you looking at doing this? I'm moving somewhere near hobart in june and will be looking for access to bulk base malt as well as the full range of liquid yeasts and hops I'm currently used to.

Why can't you post it. What would happen if I put 5kg in an Australia post parcel bag and sent it down that way?

Prohibitive, not prohibited.

manticle said:
Nothing happens, it's just expensive.
Generally nothing happens, but I have had grain quarantined before. A few kilos of crystal malt. I ended up getting it, but it was a source of great frustration. I told the quarantine officer that he could have my years salary if he could get a grain of Crystal malt to germinate.
They were pretty helpful in the end.

I would be interested in a couple of kilos of each. You just missed out on the Hobart brew club grain buy, by about a month...

Back