Hlt Stirrer Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christmas

Reaction score
So I spent all day converting a rotisserie motor into a HLT stirrer for the AG setup I'm putting together..

After putting it all together and giving it a test run, it looks like it might be going too slow to have much effect on distributing heat from the element but I can't check this until I get the element and thermostat hooked up.

I think it's turning in the order of about 2 RPM.

Is this too slow, or do other people have stirrers running at this sort of speed?
Is there any simple way of gearing things up to get more RPM?

Input welcome!!

So I spent all day converting a rotisserie motor into a HLT stirrer for the AG setup I'm putting together..

After putting it all together and giving it a test run, it looks like it might be going too slow to have much effect on distributing heat from the element but I can't check this until I get the element and thermostat hooked up.

I think it's turning in the order of about 2 RPM.

Is this too slow, or do other people have stirrers running at this sort of speed?
Is there any simple way of gearing things up to get more RPM?

Input welcome!!

I use a dedicated brown pump on my HLT.. Pulls from the bottom and returns to the top, works like a charm.

Yob

Give the HLT a quick stir a couple of minutes before your ready to use it. Doesn't cost a cent to setup.

QldKev

I use a dedicated brown pump on my HLT.. Pulls from the bottom and returns to the top, works like a charm.

Yob

^that.
Works very well. My HLT is setup with a brown pump and a stc controller, so i use this heat up time to crush my grains knowing confidently that it will stay at the temp i need until required, and that the temp is even throughout the hlt.

If its turning slowly you need big blades, should do a fine job but it might be more useful as a mash stirrer if its only doing a couple of rpm.
Mark

Back