Hlt Sight Tube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
hope this helps you goat.its not perfect but its a start.
tube was utilized from racking tube and connected through 1/2"s/s fittings.

cheers
big d

sight_glass_001.jpg

lucky last photo.
ps the wood is there to stop the glare into the camera

sight_glass_003.jpg

Thanks Bigd - I gotta get a digital camera.....

That is ball valve city you got there - good idea with only one penetration to the HLT / kettle....

Will have to do somehting like that - I have been trying to find hard polycarbonate tube (its like rockinghorse shit in Perth) which I can tap the end of and screw it into an elbow out of the HLT - but the hose looks like a good substitute... how hot have you had it? can it handle boiling water?

What is the connection with tube - a hose barb & clamp?

only had it up to sparge temp 78deg give or take abit.the beauty of this set up is you can see how much water you start off with then shut the valve coming off the hlt so it hasnt got direct heat in the tube .when your ready to mash in or sparge you open up the valve to balance out the water level then crack open the other valve and away you go.
im still only in test mode at this stage but have had no probs with the tube discolouring or anything else.

the fitting out of the tee is justa s/s tube with the racking tube over it held in place with a hose clamp.

hope this helps

cheers
big d

Big D. Is the water level correct in the tube when you open the tap to start draining. I though I read some where that it messes up your reading when the water starts flowing. I ended up just drilling a hole in the side and siliconing in a 1/2" bit of copper pipe to which a 90o copper elbow, the clear tube just fits right into that. No leaks yet, and it won't leak me thinks.:)

JD

Goat
I just got some 20mm polycarbonate tube sent up from Perth , I am chasing 20 stainless compression fittings now.
Will look a treat when done
Batz

it certainly does justin.
all i do is shut the last valve now and again to let the level re-adjust.then open up again.i think after awhile i will only have to do this now and then as i should have a fair idea of the required amount of water in the mash tun.
i think the only other way around this is to have a larger sight tube/glass.

cheers
big d

Batz,

Where did you get it from?

I have seen sight tubes simply threaded and screwed into an elbow out of an urn. Does 20mm (OD) screw into 1/2 inch fittings when the thread is put on it?

i reckon batz wont have any troubles with a 20mm tube.
only the fittings.im still looking batz

I ordered it up here and the guy rang around till he found it , give him a call if you like he's a helpful bloke and will remember me for sure
Galvins plumbing Plus 91855877
I may have enough left over to do yours , welcome to it if I have , as far as threading it with 1/2" thread , I'll look into that nightshift , good idea

bid d,

I love the two tap idea.

And I'm guessing just before the end of the boil you'll keep the first tap closed and open the last tap to empty the sight glass, and avoid getting any unboiled (full boiled) wort into your fermenter preventing any contamination ?

Beers,
Doc

I was going to mount my sight glass away and seperate from the drain value , should not have any problems that way

As Justin has alluded to... would you get a venturi type effect when draining?

I was hoping to use 'O' rings on the tube to remind me where the level was to be able to see easily where to drain to etc too (good idea for those who have very little short term memory left....)

its a three tier set up doc.the hlt is only for boiling water for mashing and sparging so dont have to worry about wort in the tube.ive a seperate boiling keg.

cheers
big d

Another good idea goat !

Big D

How much and where did you get the SS fittings?

Hoops

Back