Hlt Sight Glass.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
Here is my easy as piss to build sight glass

It is a bit of cut out 3/4 tube wuth some 12.5mm PVC tubu pushed down in it.

I welded the 1/2 tube on the keg and the fit between the 3/4 and the 1/2 tube with the PVC in it is tight enough to seal.

So it just pushes together :D

too easy.

cheers

Top work Tony :) - I'm glad you reckon it's easy - out of my league I'm afraid :(

Tony said:
I welded the 1/2 tube on the keg and the fit between the 3/4 and the 1/2 tube with the PVC in it is tight enough to seal.

Tony was that welded with a TIG or just plain stick welder?
What wall thickness was the 1/2 tubing?

looks like TIG But could be done with stick easily enough.

Tony said:

too easy.
[post="80618"][/post]​
Have you tried it with boiling water yet? How does the seal go when it gets hot?

sosman said:
Have you tried it with boiling water yet? How does the seal go when it gets hot?
[post="80674"][/post]​

Just make sure you have all hop additions close at hand. That way, if it pops out, and you have to stick your thumb in, you can still do all the additions and finish the boil before heading off to hospital.

Edit: oops, HLT, I see

Ross said:
Top work Tony :) - I'm glad you reckon it's easy - out of my league I'm afraid :(
[post="80624"][/post]​

Out of my league too which is a shame as I need something like this. Currently I am using a 2 litre jug measuring every time..

Lookin good though :beer:

timmy said:
[post="80634"][/post]​

You have got to be kidding :p

I just had a stainless outlet welded into my big keg, the bloke used a Henrob torch, which is basically a pretty trick oxy torch. Puts out a small,fine and hot flame. He hardly used any filler rod, was just like soldering the way the metal melded together

ausdb said:
timmy said:
[post="80634"][/post]​

You have got to be kidding :p
[post="80693"][/post]​

The different between a tig welder and a stick welder is the angle grinder :lol:

Borret :p

a small 316L rod with a DC welder will do this easily.

Just make sure you are on DC RP (electrode positive) and no more than 75A, steady hand. A pass 12 to 6 clockwise and a hot pass 12 to 6 anti clockwise will give a nice clean bead outside and a fine layer of slag inside to chip away.

Being the HLT it won't need a pickle.

Borrett, I'm SUre You can back me up on this one?

Edit: if using an AC welder keep the amps down to about 60 or less. SOunds low but stainless doesn't need much.

Silver soldering work good to, if you get the right flux and flame..

Soldered in a brass threaded outlet into a cheap pot from woolies today for a mini HLT...came up damn nice

Its TIG welded. The SS tubing was thick walled, not sure what thicness but i had trouble bending it with a set of hand benders. Its thicker than the keg.

It looks like a birdpoop stick weld cause im an electrician and self taught myself to TIG weld on this very job :p

I dont think i would like to use a stick on a thin walled keg. not saying it cant be done in the hands of a good welder but not by me :)

It held up fine sitting at 80 deg for a couple of hours on its maiden run. Another go tomorrow for the smoked porter.

Mot sure if it would go real well on a boiler.

cheers

TIG is the way to go, angle grinders...not if you know what your doing

Batz

timmy said:
a small 316L rod with a DC welder will do this easily.

Just make sure you are on DC RP (electrode positive) and no more than 75A, steady hand. A pass 12 to 6 clockwise and a hot pass 12 to 6 anti clockwise will give a nice clean bead outside and a fine layer of slag inside to chip away.

Being the HLT it won't need a pickle.

Borrett, I'm SUre You can back me up on this one?

Edit: if using an AC welder keep the amps down to about 60 or less. SOunds low but stainless doesn't need much.
[post="80739"][/post]​

A guy gave me a few of those really thin 316L rods the other week, to play with they actually work quite well even with an old AC stick welder on its lowest setting. The 50L kegs are made of rather heavy gauge stainless compared to a corny keg.

For my project of grafting a corny lid to the keg I am going to stick with silver brazing it, I finally managed to buy a few sticks of pflux coated cadmium free alloy ($15 each OUCH :eek: :eek: )and feel that will probably give me a better result than borrowing my mates TIG and then geting up to speed on it. I searched most of Perth and BOC were the only pace that had it readily available but I have no need for a whole pack age of the stuff!!

Timmy, thanks for the tips on the DC settings they are filed in my brain for future refrence

Cheers Ausdb

PS my first go with a tig looked neater :p :p

Ducatiboy stu said:
the trick with silver solder is getting the right flux...

I got Strata 22F which is pre fluxed. In the past I have brazed stainless using blue tip (45% silver but not cad free) using run of the mill silver soldering flux. Getting the right amount of heat but not too much I find is the most important thing.

Yep..to much heat makes it boil and end full of bubbles and makes it weak...and carbonises the steel and it wont stick..

Using Ezi-weld 602 Fluoride 34% Borate 34%...flows very nice..and 15% solder...but 2% flows a bit better on the thin stuff

Tony said:
It held up fine sitting at 80 deg for a couple of hours on its maiden run. Another go tomorrow for the smoked porter.

Mot sure if it would go real well on a boiler.
[post="80759"][/post]​
I boil water in my HLT for mashout.

Tony , Its great that you share your modifications to your brewery with everyone.

A picture saves a thousand words and I am sure it encourages others to take the plunge when they see what is achievable .

Pumpy

Latest posts

Back