Hlt Elements ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukes

Speak Easy
Reaction score
G'day all,
I am looking into an element for a HLT under construction.
I was looking at them on the tobins web site.

Tobins Elements

Speaking to GMK he reckons Item No: 4108 is the go.

4108.jpg

I am open to any other sugestions as I would like to make it a perm In the HLT and add a controller at later date?

Lukes,
I use something similar and use it for my HLT and Boiler. I am planning on buying a hot water element and permantly mounting that in the HLT. ALternatively many just pull an element(or 2) out of cheap electric kettles(eg Belle) and mount that in a HLT, and run off separate circuits.

Cheers
roach

Like this:

If you want to permanently mount it in your HLT then save yourself the money and get the kettle elements as stated above. That handheld element is handy if you mash in an esky and want to bump the temp up during the mash (because you can't directly heat the esky obviously). But for a HLT this is overkill. $10 kettle and be done with it. Mount two if you want to heat quicker but that hand held one is 2400W which is the same rating as a 2400W kettle element, so you'd be just as well off with one. FWIW I have two, a 2200W and an 1800W. Heats quite quickly with plenty of time to heat to sparge temp while the mash is going.

Cheers, Justin

Hey Justin, your elements aren't feng shui! :lol:

Granted yours are cleaner. Bear in mind mine was originally an overly-burtonized boiler. :D I find just using the one element heats up enough brewing liquor in a couple of hours. Just rig it up overnight on a timer. They're great once you pull out the cut-out switch. Also if I run the 2 of mine the circuit trips out unless I run the mother of all extension cords to another circuit. Real fun if you brew down in the garage like me. <_<

Warren -

Good god your right Warren :lol: It's all in the aura :p. FWIW I would like to have balance in my life, both in my HLT and in my beers :rolleyes:

All I could find at the time. I do have a preference for the more open elements like yours-easier to clean-water isn't the only thing I boil in this tank. I agree though, one element is enough to heat your water up early and my 1800W is enough to maintain a boil (at least with a lid on, I haven't tried it without). The plan is on the new stand to have some switches to turn these puppies on and off without having to pull the leads out which is the current arrangement. Might get it done one day.

Cheers, Justin

Yep,

Pulling the leads out hot and limp and seeing the flash of sparks at the end doesn't do to much for my confidence either Justin. :blink:

I've got mine rigged up to a capiliary thermostat now for HLT duties. One element maintains sparge water temps. really nicely. Turning the thermostat to zero can flick the power off without pulling the cords now. :beerbang:

Warren -

What's wrong with the switch on the wall? Or is that more than a few steps away?

Borretus-fingerinthepowerpointus.

Only got one power point in the garage. You guessed it. Right over the other end. I've got more 4 outlet powerboards than a computer shop. <_<

Oh, to be a closet sparky. :beerbang:

Warren -

Borret, I'm running mine off 10m and 25m extention leads that I feed through the window of the house. Too much messing around walking in and out to turn them on and off. I just pull the plug, FWIW mine don't spark when I disconnect them. Anyway, I have to wire up a switch to my pump so I can easily and quickly turn it off if it runs dry, something leaks etc. Might as well do the switches for the elements while I'm at it.

Cheers, Justin

It seems both Lukes and I are on the same project at the moment. I have a 2400W Immersion heater (purchased from Tobins), but I also want a more permanent fixture for my HLT I am building. I have seen pictures of what we need, i.e a 2400W element that can be bulk fitted, rather than be immersed. I am thinking on the same line like a jug, just plug a cord in the thing.

I spent some time this morning at two seperate Electrical supply joints and the best they can come up with is a hot water element which you have to drill four holes to fit. What's more it has no plug just two bare wires sticking out. I am thinking, four holes, four times the chance of a leak...

Can some body help with where to ge a suitable 2400 element in Brisbane (or on the Internet) that has a bulk head fitting and comes with a plug? Make or model number would be handy...

PeterS.... :chug:

I found mine in a tip shop in kettles for $5 each. I just broke apart the plastic kettle that it came from. A number of people have been buying the Belle kettles from BigW because they are cheap but the ones I saw had those thermostat switches actually attached to the elements. Mine don't, it was seperate. They also did not enclose the element/plug properly but you can fabricate something to deal with that.

If you search a bit and be picky with the kettle you get (ie. don't buy the first one you see) you might be able to fiind a nice element with a plug back like this one I have here:

plug2.jpg

Otherwise, if you are careful you can salvage the back end of the kettle to hold your plug like I did in this one:

Plug1.jpg

Hope it helps. If you ask those electrical places for replacement kettle elements they should be able to help you out but if memory serves me correctly they are around the $30 mark. Best buy a Belle for $10.

Cheers, Justin

I love my immersion heater, its a birko 2400 watt one, that i picked up from a bunnings bargain bin for $35. If you can get it at the right price It definately at the right price is a good asset in the brewery as it can be easily be moved around, and boost temp in the mash ie mashout etc.

The element gives a boil of 30 litres in a Aluminium pot that is insulated with a camp mat. Whilst it is a slowish process ie 30-40 minutes from sparge to boil, it can maintain a good boil and definately gives greater than a 15% evaporation as set in promash. However ideally if you have the cash the best use of an element is in the HLT, and it excels in this role and efficently too. As identified previously this baby sucks the power and can trip circuits if you not careful though.

Will

Are we forgetting ebay?

I take delivery of these tommorow. They are only 1650w but that should be fine for HLT and if not I can run 2 off a singel 15A circut(or just off a ten amp as it doesn't trip at 13A :unsure: :ph34r: ). Sure I will have to fiddle a bit with wiring but I also have an adjustable thermostat (free) to go with them. Best bit....11 elements for $5 so I wil have plenty of spares if one burns out. :D

60_1_b.jpg

Borret :blink:

A pic of the belle $10 element hanging out a Bunnings drum. I reckon the exposed nature of it keeps you on your toes !!!

Seriously though - at less than $10 they are a pretty good deal and seal well.

A pic of the belle $10 element hanging out a Bunnings drum. I reckon the exposed nature of it keeps you on your toes !!!

100_0046.JPG

pic of the inside
100_0055.JPG

View attachment 4055

Attachments

• 100_0047.JPG
    100_0047.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 46
100_0046.JPGsorry. Did soemthing wrong ??

Second try:

Attachments

• 100_0046.JPG
    100_0046.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 47
Apologies to all. I have no idea why it did this. I only posted the reply once and it came up 3 times ???

And I've only had 3 beers tonight!!!

Back