Hlt Element?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jameson

Reaction score
Hi all looking at setting my hlt up to a element thinking of one of these. http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=3853 with a stc1000 to shave a hour plus on brewday. My questions is.
1. Does the stc 1000 have a memory? So if I set it to a timer it will click on to the set temp?
2. Would this element be big enough for a 98l hlt?
3. If I go for a brewday at a mate's place will the element be effected if I use my burner?
Thanks all I have done some research but can't seam to find anything specific.

Hey mate,

Can't help you with #3 (but I think you may have issues with the plastic parts if you use a burner....

My STC-1000s do have a memory, but I believe there are a few different models floating around eBay - ymmv.

The element will be fine in a 98L - I have one in my 100L and while it does take a while to heat, if you're setting a timer it may not be an issue anyhow.

Cheers

I honestly do hope the heat problems with those elements have been fixed. I can't see it coping with a gas burner under it though. I have had and do have one, I just don't use it anymore.

My 2c

Thanks Nick I was going to order 2 stc but shall order 1 at a time. Maybe a plug of some sort will do the job if the need arises. Rotten They are the new models but will have a shop around thanks.

Hi all looking at setting my hlt up to a element thinking of one of these. http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=3853 with a stc1000 to shave a hour plus on brewday. My questions is.
1. Does the stc 1000 have a memory? So if I set it to a timer it will click on to the set temp?
3. If I go for a brewday at a mate's place will the element be effected if I use my burner?
My HLT has one of those elements and a TempMate controller (since it has a higher amperage rating) but both the TempMate and STC-1000 remember the single pre-set value when turned on/off, so it should work without issue in the situation you explained.

I'd be very hesitant to use one with a gas-fired burner because I'd be afraid that the burner would cook/melt the plastic bits on the fittings.

Thanks all I have done some research but can't seam to find anything specific.

I have some from 3 different ebay'ers and all remember the set value.

It would depend on how long you are ok waiting.
Example: fill it with 90L or water @ 20c. Set temp to 72c = need to heat by 52c difference. Using the calc on my website it will take 148mins with zero heat loss.

I would say you will definitely have issues. You could try and build a heat shroud to protect it, but I would not stick any insulating material directly to the heating element. The elements have had a few issues with heat and burning themselves, and if you insulated it directly then it would trap more heat in. Have a search for keg king elements as that is what you have linked to above.

If you want the flexibility of swapping between electric and gas I would spend the extra $ and get an over the side immersion element. But once again you need to get a decent one (a bit over $100), and need to keep the HLT fill level sufficient to cover the element.

QldKev

You'll still be OK even if you end up with one that doesn't remember the set value. If you wire your STC1000 in the standard way (you'll find a long thread if you search) you'll have a standard 10A GPO outlet on the heating output from the controller. You could just plug the timer into that and leave the STC on.

Back