Hlt Element Fixed Or Immersion?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just caught this thread
I have a gas bayonet in my brewery.
This is what I'd like. Waaaaay cheaper to run than bottled gas.

Immersion easy to move around, replace get out of the way when you dont need it, can use it in multiple vessles. Can heat your strike water in the MT then put the grain in to hit your target temp without having to calculate thermal mass of your mash tun.

Went to Tobins at South Strathfield today and bought the 4108B immersion heater - 2400w Hi Nickel Alloy with hook for $74.31. This is in black and the salesman says it is the same as the $95 model but not as pretty (is not chromed). Figure that this would suit the converted keg better than the bent model. Using the Roach idea of the curtain rod keeps the element in the centre of the keg (or to the side if you want it) and pretty close to the bottom.

I also got a 2400w screw in element - 3252AG624 - 1" BSP. ($49.62) This has a shank length of 22cm. and apparently can be fitted as a weldless. I got a suitable flange nut from the local hardware and will have a sparkie fix a three pin plug with appropriate earthing and cover plate. Could have got a larger model (1.25" or 1.5") but as I'm only using it in my HLT I don't need to have it reach a boil.

Once In have the fixed element in place in the HLT I will use the immersion heater as a suppliment to heating or boiling if necessary.

Cheers, Hogan.

Cheers for the feedback Hogan, i'll go with the 4108B aswell then.

Has anyone actually raise thier mash temp with a immerssion element I have an all electric system and was going to go herms system in the future but if I can use my immerssion element to step up the temp that would be great.
I have always thought that it would burn the grain anyone done this or would i have to enclose the element in a mesh ???

Had a chat with Peter from Tobins the other day...
I asked about the 4108B as well...$74.31 plus $13.20 freight to Canberra - not bad considering the locally held elements are $88 and I don't know if they're one and the same unit. Peter confirmed that the 4108B is approx 400mm which sits it about 50mm above the bottom of the keg kettle floor - and with a curtain rod it's gonna do the job just fine!

Cheers,
TL

Just placed my order then, 4108B for just under $80 inc postage and it should be here tomorrow, cant wait to try out the new toy.

Had a chat with Peter from Tobins the other day...
I asked about the 4108B as well...$74.31 plus $13.20 freight to Canberra - not bad considering the locally held elements are $88 and I don't know if they're one and the same unit. Peter confirmed that the 4108B is approx 400mm which sits it about 50mm above the bottom of the keg kettle floor - and with a curtain rod it's gonna do the job just fine!

Cheers,
TL

I also spoke to Peter and bought the 4108B also :) .
I have an immersion heater I have had for years,made in W Germany 350W only and with a small hook on the handle, looks like a jug element on a handle, it was my fathers and I have no idea where and when he bought it and what he used it for :(
I used it to heat my HLT [which was a large pot then] before I put a 2400W element in the 50L HLT.
More toys <_< 'Boys and their toys'

Has anyone actually raise thier mash temp with a immerssion element I have an all electric system and was going to go herms system in the future but if I can use my immerssion element to step up the temp that would be great.
I have always thought that it would burn the grain anyone done this or would i have to enclose the element in a mesh ???
Every time I brew I use the immersion element for decoctions and mash temp rises. Probably the most useful piece of brewing gear I have. :)

It doesn't burn as long as you keep it moving - use it to stir to distribute the heat.

Cheers, Andrew.

Back