Hlt Elec Or Gas?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pioneergangsta

Reaction score
Ok, so i've scored another 50ltr keg off a friend.
I've already cut the top out of the one i've got and installed a ball valve tap, this is going to be my kettle.
So with the other 50ltr keg i'll do the same, however my question for heating....
I've got a 3 ring burner, should i use this to heat both the HLT & kettle OR use it to heat the kettle and install elec elements into the HLT for heating?

What have the majority of you AG brewers done?

Cheers

This is what i've done so far...

kettle.JPG

elect is easyer to control temp with electronics, gas needs solioids ete to have auto temp control.

Elect is prob easyer and cheaper?? but can be slow (never used gass so cant compair)

I will use gas on the boiler though, HLT only needs to get to 80deg max

gday pioneergangsta

at this stage im using an immersion heater for the hlt and then use the heater and gas on the kettle.ive only got a small two ring burner hence the immersion heater boost.
in time i will purchase two decent gas burners and change my set up.
so far this set up is working very well.

cheers
big d

I'm currently using electric on the HLT and gas on the boiler.
HLT is a 30 litre urn with thermostat.
Boiler is a 50 litre keg on a three ring gas burner.

Beers,
Doc

Was thinking of getting two 2400W elements for my HLT.
I 've noticed with the elements that are in normal kettles & jugs they are all coiled up, if i were to use elements out of some old kettles, should they be uncoiled? or is there a better place to source these elements?

Cheers

Pioneergangster

I know of some guys wheo bought and use Hot Water Service elrments...

Buy 2.4 upto 3.6KW...just drill the right size holeand it fits in- comes threaded and with a nut etc...

Get two 2400W kettle elements, this will get you by with no worries. Hot water system elements are nice and long but in a HLT a small coiled element will heat just as effectively and is easier too install. In regards to element power you can't go above 2400W (10A), a 3.6kW element draws too much power for your houses wiring.

Plus with a kettle element if it was to ever burn out (you turn it on with no water in the hlt or element not covered) then it's easy and cheap tp replace. You should be able to get elements from kettles for nothing, just ask around.

Cheers, Justin

Can any one tell me how to wire up a kettle element. What do you have to do so you can submerge it.

Does any one have some pics of one.

Umm.. The kettle element goes through the wall of the keg. The element is inside (submerged). The wiring is outside (dry). Is that what you were asking?

i love these threads any excuse to pull out some snap shots.

heres my HLT burner with gas solienoid and temp controller.

JAYSE

hlt_drive001.jpg

They guys were talking earlier about a jug or kettle element so I just assumed this meant a every day kettle. so can you still install this thru the wall of the pot.

jayse what do you use for a temp controller. I'm looking to get one.

wedge.
all my controllers are custom made jobs.
very expensive also. They have a digital interface with infinite adjustments.
you'll have to come around one day and check out my rig. here's a shot of another one i have which has two controllers mounted in the same box.
the brand name of the main part is omcron.

jayse

CONTROL.JPG

Bigfella, yep everyday kettle elements. Try for 2400W ones but 2200W or even 1800W ones are fine. They just have a plastic backing nut on them that you can actually tighten suprisingly tight but it doesn't need to be that tight to seal. Just get a bigger rubber washer to give it a little bit more compressibility (is that a word??) and it will conform and seal well against the curve of the keg. I chucked a bit of Dow Corning 732 silicone sealant on mine but it doesn't really need it. I'll try and post pics of mine when I get back to Hobart (on Saturday).

Try and get the ones that have the plug socket on the back of the element rather than part of the kettle body, if you know what I mean. That way there is no wiring to do, just use the plug and it's easier. I have two elements, a 2400W and a 2200W, a tight coiled one and a more open kind of H patern one. I just make sure that I run then on different circuits in the house when I run both at once. I have just built a thermostat to look after them, reason being it takes about 30mins to bring 45L of water from tap temp to approx 80C and if I'm not careful I overshoot. Now it's automated :) and I can set it on a timer, allowing me to sleep while I heat :D

I just drilled a hole in my keg then filed it out to the right size using a round file. Took a bit of time (15-20mins) but the job was good.

I like electric, but that's me. My kettle is gas, which I like as well (except when I run out of it!!)

Cheers, Justin

Back