Hlt / Boil Pot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wax

Reaction score
Hi Gents,

I'm setting up (very slowly) my AG brewery and I wanted to know if I could use an electric coffe urn for a HLT ? If I can, what would you recomend as a minimum size ?

And secondly a question about boil pots. I have two options, I can get hold of a commercial keg or a big ss stock pot. Which would you recommend ?

Cheers
Wax

I use a 20L Birko urn for a HLT - I wouldn't go smaller and I don't think 30L is necessary. The only problem I've had with it is trying to find one! They weren't too common in Adelaide when I was looking.

For a boiler I use a 50L keg. Stainless steel pots from catering suppliers are way too pricey for my liking. Not only that the keg is made to be knocked around a bit... no need to treat it with kit-gloves.

C&B

I have a 35ltr urn for a hlt.

Best priced kettle is one of the following:
Electric copper washer - go for 75ltrs
or
SS 14 gallon wine tank converted to a boiler with ss ball valve, sight tube and ss thermomenter from St Pats for 145 US Dollars.

hope this helps.

There was a guy who had an urn for sale in Quokka , I rang him and he said he had a few of them 30lt and 40lt.

He has some sort of shop thingy on Albany Hwy , I wish I could remember where

They were a bit pricey if I remember but I would be interested in having a look now

urn is good i got a keg for 50 bucks a 45 litre one did some welding like handles ect and got the stainless fitting for a good price cheaper than paying 230 bucks for a 36 litre pot

hope you remember the address batz.if not could be a long trip down albany hwy looking for likely shops when im down that way. :unsure:

cheers
big d

I not going to remember big d ,
I rang and spoke to the guy a few months back , should have put in my book
Bugger :( :angry:

Wax,
The distributors for Birko are at Enfield on Liverpool Rd. I was quoted about $210 for a new 30lt Urn. Came with a temp graduated switch.

30 litre is a nice size as you can almost get all your water in one hit for a 23lt batch,so heat and away. A 20 ltr would have to be refilled after mash in and the cost was only 20-30 dollars cheaper!

What's the company name Linz?

And just a note , the 30lt ones are 15 amp , you'll need a 15amp socket

johnno said:
Batz,
I think this was the site. But they seem to be having site problems at the moment.

http://www.bmms.com.au/

cheeers
Yep,
You've got the correct site Johnno - I just had a look under the "Catering" link and they have Urns starting from $50.

As GMK suggested, have a look at the Stainless Steel boilers on St. Pats - their customer service sucks but they have good gear...

Click here to have a look at their pots - their 14 Gallon converted wine tanks with SS Ball Valves are the go! You might have to haggle with "Luscious Lynne" to get it freighted over here. <_<

Cheers,
TL

Wax, go the keg for your boiler. 50L capacity, solid as a rock, has good handles, smaller foot print and is a lot cheaper. I wouldn't even consider a S/S stock pot, but I guess it depends how much the keg is going to cost ;) .

The urn should be fine, but if you can get another keg ;) why not make your own urn with normal kettle elements. Plenty of capacity, elements are easy to come by and seal, runs off a 10A power point and cheaper. You can add a thermostat later on if you want. I can send you photo's of mine if you like.

That's my 2c worth.

Go the grain!

JD

I'm planning on using 50 litre kegs for HLT and Boil Kettle. What I did discover in gutting a front loading Washing Machine is that the drum from either a front loader W/M or Dryer is a great burner stand. The big opening is larger than a three-ring burner and a 50 litre keg is thinner than the drum. Just cut the drum 10cm and it's a great burner stand. How it will stand up to the heat and weight is another question............

Can't recall the Co. name but they are the Distributors for Birko brand Urns

Back