HISTORIC `SESSION` BEERS !!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edd Mather 6

Reaction score
Hi All ,
Here`s a couple more historic gems to go at , a Magee`s Government Ale from 1917 , and a Ward`s Bitter from 1956 ,
Cheers & Happy Mashing

Edd
Sparge Liquor on the Magee's G.A : 3.865 L/Kg

Attachments

• Magee G.A 1917_1917.pdf
    41 KB · Views: 136
  • WARD`S BITTER 1956_1956.pdf
    37.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Hi All ,
Here`s another cracker for you to go at , from Boddington`s Brewery in Manchester .
It`s a nice C class ale from 1913 ,
Cheers & Happy Mashing

Edd

Attachments

• Boddingtons CC 1913_1913.pdf
    36.7 KB · Views: 73
Wards was a top drink in South Yorkshire / North Derbyshire.
How Do Malt & Barley ,
I`ve got some crackers from the Ward`s records I`ve looked at , from 1927 - 1956 , any style you prefer ? , as I`ve got 4 Milds , Pale Ales etc (also got some 1875-1884 recipes from Ward`s)
Cheers
Edd

How Do All ,
Here`s another cracker from Boddington`s of Manchester , their I.P from 1901 ; this was the brewhouse code for their famous Bitter , and the only time a beer is labelled as such in the brewing books is , during the Great War ( a low abv beer @ 3.1-3 % ) ,
Cheers & Happy Mashing guys ,
Edd

Attachments

• Boddington`s IP 1901_1901.pdf
    37.1 KB · Views: 55
Hi All ,
Here`s another for you lucky mashers to get brewing !! , from the original Kirkstall Brewery from 1885 ;
Cheers ,
Edd

PS: The new Kirkstall Brewery Beers are , pretty damned tasty as well .

Attachments

• KIRKSTALL A.K 1885_1885.pdf
    37.2 KB · Views: 53
How Do All ,
Here`s another cracking Boddington`s recipe for you to have a bash at , it`s a Best Bitter from 1902 @ 5.5 % ABV and 34 IBU ,
Cheers ,
Edd

Attachments

• X X X 06.01.1902 No 473_473.pdf
    36.7 KB · Views: 40
How Do All ,
here`s a couple of cracking Tetley Bitter recipies for you to have a go at ,
Hope you all enjoy brewing them ; and the quality control afterwards :overhead:,

Cheers :bigcheers:,

Edd

Attachments

• K Thursday 24Th April 1890 IBU.pdf
    38.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Tetley K 1 1868.pdf
    37.5 KB · Views: 35
Another couple to add to my ever growing list of "To Brew's"

Hope you're saving plenty for the upcoming book :)
How Altone ,
Thanks for the comments , oh aye ; I`ve got a few spare for the book : over 100 of the little buggers !! .
I`m just waiting for a well respected UK family brewery to look through their photos etc , and then it`s down to the typing and layout !! ,

Cheers

Edd

If ever a man was born in the wrong time it is Edd, I love his speak, the brewers of old long breakfast while mashing, maybe black pudding with crusty home made bread and a large mug of Rosey Lee.
How Do Wide Eyed,
Or a 'Brewer's Breakfast' for the tender of head (A big mug of hot wort with an egg cracked in)!!,
Cheers
Edd

How Do All ,
I`ve recently corresponded with Keith Thomas at Brewlab ; Sunderland over here in the UK , and as a result they`ve had a brew of the Magee Marshall Government Ale from 1917 (P.A Version) on their small test plant, from a recipie I sent .
Last week the postie brought me the result !! a couple of very special bottles , .
the Magee`s Beer , and a bottle of Hammond`s of Bradford Porter , the kids are settling down nicely ; and I`ll be posting a review with photos in a week or two ,

Cheers :cheers:,
Edd

How Do All ,
I`ve recently corresponded with Keith Thomas at Brewlab ; Sunderland over here in the UK , and as a result they`ve had a brew of the Magee Marshall Government Ale from 1917 (P.A Version) on their small test plant, from a recipie I sent .
Last week the postie brought me the result !! a couple of very special bottles , .
the Magee`s Beer , and a bottle of Hammond`s of Bradford Porter , the kids are settling down nicely ; and I`ll be posting a review with photos in a week or two ,

Cheers :cheers:,
Edd
Eh up Ed

What does "Government" refer to?

How Do Sydney Harbour Bridge,
The Government Ale refers to the imposition by the UK Government of a restriction on the Ammount (by gravity and %of production ) of the beers a brewery could produce (from 1917),
Cheers
Edd

Was that part of the war effort?
Yep, that's right ; at the same time as the implementation of DORA, AKA: Defence of The Realm Act 1917 which introduced more restrictive licencing hours for pubs.
I believe that Australia had something similar, with the Six o' Clock swill !!!,
Cheers
Edd

Last edited:
Back