Historic Mild

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winkle

Teach a man to fish and play golf, and you'll neve
Reaction score
I'm thinking of brewing a batch of historic mild ahla "1824" in David Sutla's Mild Ale book, probably on the 5th of June if anyone is interested. Might do a batch of Batemans Dark clone first up on the same day as well.

Are you willing to share your planned recipe?

Are you willing to share your planned recipe?

Will do once we've nutted it out properly - will probably be roasting our own malt as part of the experiment.

Roasting the grain around 1pm, mashing this sucker in at about 2pm - if anyone else is interested in dropping around on Saturday.

Bateman's Dark Mild - is this the one from Brew Your Own Real Ale at Home? I did this beer last year - it is very nice indeed. If I were to do it again, I would mash 1C higher than what the recipe says. Although this depends on the yeast you're using.

With roasting malt, I have read you get better, milder flavours if you roast a few days before brewing. I think this lets it "de-gas", similar to roasted coffee beans.

Cheers - Snow.

Bateman's Dark Mild - is this the one from Brew Your Own Real Ale at Home? I did this beer last year - it is very nice indeed. If I were to do it again, I would mash 1C higher than what the recipe says. Although this depends on the yeast you're using.

With roasting malt, I have read you get better, milder flavours if you roast a few days before brewing. I think this lets it "de-gas", similar to roasted coffee beans.

Cheers - Snow.

I might give that a crack this arvo Snow, ta.
Re: the Batemans Dark, well it sort of started there and has been heavily modified since, was and still is a very tasty drop.

I might give that a crack this arvo Snow, ta.
Re: the Batemans Dark, well it sort of started there and has been heavily modified since, was and still is a very tasty drop.
Here is the recipe for the historic mild, (we oven roasted 1kg of the MO for 20 min).

1824 Mild
Mild

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 25.41 L
Boil Time: 120 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.95 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
2.30 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 38.98 %
0.60 kg Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 10.17 %
0.05 kg Peat Smoked Malt (2.8 SRM) Grain 0.85 %
90.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 50.9 IBU
0.25 tsp Koppafloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
4.23 oz Oak Chips (Secondary 7.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs Windsor Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.066 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.56 %
Bitterness: 50.9 IBU

So Winkle, how did brew day go? Fermentation should be about done by now, any updates?

Cheers,

TS

So what about the roasting?

Did you just toast up some malt for the specialty part or did you try to roast all the malt.

MHB

Opps sorry see that at the top just 1 kg toasted, be interesting to see what happens to the yield, Im interested in what changes it will make to the brew and how well the malt was roasted.

MHB

Latest posts

Back