Hipster alert!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmastello

Reaction score
So this is what our fine hobby has become. After the good ol days of our fathers brewing for economics then the AG/BIAB revolution, now we arrive here at hipster brewing.
http://vimeo.com/51318855
Is this a good thing? I can see the motivation - homebrewing is great fun and the small batch stuff makes sense in a place like New york. But what about how its now very cool to homebrew and drink beer? the only prerequisite is an ironic beard or moustache (does facial hair know about irony?), thick rimmed glasses and a desire to make your beer into art.
I know an investment banker in Sydney, around 28yo very hip and cool, just bought a braumeister and was telling me about his smoked chipotle porter. Really?

For those of you outside of Sydney or Melbourne, you may not have seen this as a trend, but if you do live in a metropolitan area, what do you think?

Does that mean that if one was home brewing before it was cool, then they may in fact be a hipster? Without even knowing it! :unsure:

I like anything that gets more people home brewing... had a few mates that've taken up the obsession last year and whenever we catch up for barbies the girls all go do their thing while we swap beers and talk recipes. :beer: everybody wins.

I think what it shows is that brewing your own can be a hobby for all. It's like food. There are always going to be people who try and be really clever (almost to the point of wankery) with what they do, and then on the other side of the coin brewers who are happy with their off the shelf kits.

If hipsters want to brew their own unique style and call it art then more power to them. The more people who brew, the more business all of our LHBS will do, and the more business they do, the greater their ability to stock a wide range of ingredients for the rest of the brewing community.

JD

I think ironically unironic ironic facial hair in the brewing industry might be a good thing?!

hsb said:
I think ironically unironic ironic facial hair in the brewing industry might be a good thing?!
In the same vein as when they cultured the yeast from one of the Rogue brewers beard?

so what they dont have internet access and delivery in New York?

pretty sure shit loads of home brew stores around america could of delivered this, they have just put a nice hipster spin on it so idiots who wear over priced clothes that look like they are from vinnies will buy it

dont support the big guys! all whilst tweeting from their iphone

If either of those 2 turned up at a case swap, I'd glass the c@@@s. Not 'cause they're hipsters, but because they turned up with 4 tallies from their batch.

Good for them, who wouldn't want to make a living out of something they have a passion for?

As for how they look and what they wear.

I would like to think that homebrewers are too cool to be so judgemental about superficial things like that.

yeah i guess. When i see them in their 300 dollar cardigans that are made to look like it cost tree fiddy it makes me want to punch them

doon said:
yeah i guess. When i see them in their 300 dollar cardigans that are made to look like it cost tree fiddy it makes me want to punch them
Well it was about that time that I noticed that this "hipster" was about 8 stories tall, and a crustacean from the protozoic era

Gingerbrew said:
what do you think?
That we should protect beer and make sure no one else knows it is good. **** people different to me that like the same things as me!

Judanero said:
Well it was about that time that I noticed that this "hipster" was about 8 stories tall, and a crustacean from the protozoic era
Goddam Succubus!

doon said:
so what they dont have internet access and delivery in New York?

pretty sure shit loads of home brew stores around america could of delivered this, they have just put a nice hipster spin on it so idiots who wear over priced clothes that look like they are from vinnies will buy it
The urbane urban hipster is be able to boast a more complete involvement in the process if it can ride its faux-fixie down to the store and fill its Jansport backpack with just enough ingredients for its 400 ml batch.

The video was tolerable until she started talking about the zombie apocalypse. Gorram hipsters and their memes.

Sub-group prejudice? - show 'em if you got 'em

What's a faux-fixie?

I really wanna know. Like really really. And does it skid? Can you, like, ride it backwards? I haven't, like, worked that out yet.

I think it's a good way for the producer to sell ingredients for over the odds, the people who buy it will make one batch and then not clean it and never do it again!

Just my 2 cents!

Back