High temp yeast for extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discobreakfast

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I’m new to brewing, have done a couple of extract batches. As I live in QLD the current average temp is 30c+ and wondering if there are any good yeasts I can swap out from the kits that will work better with the higher temperatures here. Unfortunately I don’t currently have an option for temp controlled fermentation.

Thanks!

All brewing yeast love temperatures in the 30s. For many strains you probably won't be a fan of the flavours they throw at those high temperatures.
Good news though, investigate the range of kveik yeast. They are Norwegian farmhouse yeasts and produce good beers in the 30s. All have different flavour profiles and some, most notably Lutra kveik, can produce close to neutral flavours so that you can produce reasonably clean "lager" style beers in hot weather.
Kveik yeast also stores well after brewing, so you can have one packet of yeast last many brews.

Second the above comments. Find out which kveik yeasts are available, check their recommended temperatures, and go. Keep in mind that they generally ferment very fast, and that will raise the temps. Maybe try to start at the low end of the range.

Thanks everyone. Have just purchesed some Kviek ale yeast from the local HBS. Will give it a crack and see how it turns out!

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back