High Pressure Regulator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corey

Reaction score
Hi All,

Can someone please post some detailed specs for the high pressure regulator they are using with the NASA burner? I've bought the burner and want to make sure I get the right reg.

Cheers,

Corey

I bought mine from Globe Imports.

Check out this topic

HP Reg $60
Braided Hose $34

Beers,
Doc

BTW i tried to find the thread the other day with the talk of braided line, my orange hose i got from the local camping store (juzzies (hi corey, steve here)) does the job fine... and is rated to nearly as much pressure as the tank...

GSRman said:
BTW i tried to find the thread the other day with the talk of braided line, my orange hose i got from the local camping store (juzzies (hi corey, steve here)) does the job fine... and is rated to nearly as much pressure as the tank...
The hose has to be rated for the extra presuure but the reason I suggest using braided Ss hose or a copper stand off pipe for the gas is the amazing amount of heat right where the gas line connects to the tap.

See my original post if you want to see what I'm referring to.

Steve.

This may not be a cheaper option unless your work allows you to obtain one of these cheaply ;)
But an acetylene reg will work well

Batz

This is an email I got from Auscrown regarding the hose and regulator for the NASA burners. Before I make a purchase, can someone confirm that what they are saying is correct?

"The gas outlet fitting of the hose is 1/4" BSPF swivel nut, your burner's
gas inlet fitting should be 1/4" BSPM 60 degree coned otherwise they will
not fit each other.

The hose gas inlet fitting is 1/4" BSPM to fit the regulator gas outlet
fitting: 1/4" BSPF.

LP Gas sealing tap must be used with the connections to connect the regulator and the hose."

Bringing this back to the top.

Can someone with some technical knowledge about the NASA burners let me know whether the following is correct?

not fit each other.

LP Gas sealing tap must be used with the connections to connect the regulator and the hose."

chiller said:
I suggest using braided Ss hose or a copper stand off pipe
What is 'Ss'?

I'm thinking about getting one of these burners too and don't particularly want to blow up either myself or my beer.

without going and stripping mine down to measure thread size that sounds about right corey

ss is stainless steel taflex.just an abbreviation

cheers
big d

fershoor. thanks d. I knew it was an abbreviation, just wasn't sure what for.

Corey said:
Bringing this back to the top.

Can someone with some technical knowledge about the NASA burners let me know whether the following is correct?

not fit each other.

The NASA burners [and that by the way is a nickname that has been given to them on this list] have very standard fittings.

The same fittings used for a domestic bbq are used on a jet burner. Note I said fittings and not the hoses.

The reg requiredis a high pressure job but again is not any different in thread or size to the standard bbq one. Again I'm only talking physical fitting size.

The important thing to note is hoses must be able to take the extra pressure from the reg and must be sheilded in some way to avoid melting, fire, explosion and the end of civilisation as we know it.

The sealing tape you need is proper gas fitters tape [the yellow stuff].

They are brilliant and are really no different to set up to a 3 ring burner.

Steve.

Oi Chiller, what was thast 'flash' we had at your place a few months back? Wasn't that a hose blowing?

tdh

chiller / tdh: my orange hose is rated to 2.8 mpa, my 9kg bottle is only rated to 3.3 mpa (as are most vehicle ones too) this means 2,800 KPA, my reg is only rated to 400kpa, and I've had no need to run it past 125-150 kpa (but have had it around 250kpa) for a laugh (the horror, the horror:))..

i was worried about the heat on the hose but continually felt it throughout the few 60 min boils ive had and it didn't get anywhere near hot enough to be a concern, so im not sure why your hose would have popped, but could only guess at a fault, or if it was while the burner was off at the tap, an issue with your reg.

Back