High Pressure Lpg Regs On Ebay $30 Buy It Now

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd post this auction as it might be helpful for those thinking of buying a NASA burner in the near future and are looking for an adjustable high pressure reg. They seem to be suitable for the purpose and are buy it now for $30 (+postage). They are good quality CIGWELD high pressure LPG regs with POL fittings brand new in box. They are adjustable from 0-60psi (400kPa).

Just thought I'd post this info as it might turn out cheaper for some people to buy a reg from this guy, depending on where in Australia you are and which high pressure burner you choose (factoring in shipping etc for your burner). Prices I've read from the NASA threads seem to be in the $16-$60 range for the reg, depending on where you are.

The funny thing is that Auscrown have the cheapest reg at $16.50, but the burners start at $55 (hose is $10) versus the reg from Globe which is $60 and the burner $30 (hose is $34). If only the one place had the cheapest options on hose, burner and reg combo you could potentially have a NASA for ~$56.

Up to you anyway, just thought I'd post it as some people might find it handy. This is the cheapest option for me, to buy this reg then get the NASA locally for $59.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CIGWELD-COMET-500-L...1QQcmdZViewItem

No affiliation etc. Just found it on ebay.

Cheers, Justin

They sound the goods Justin and you can't argue with the price. 15psi more to play with too. My HP reg. that come with my NASA runs from 0-44psi.

Be interested to see what the extra grunt does. :unsure: :beerbang:

Warren -

Speaking of.
Does anyone know what the Psi of the nasa burner reg is?

johnno

And no doubt all you need in reality as most people say they barely have their burners running.

I've just bought the CIG one above because it works out cheaper for me and to then grab a local burner. Will grab a NASA this week some time. Then just need a HP hose.

Another new toy :rolleyes:. Actually looking forward to including it in the brewery. Was going to go electric for the kettle but I'll try this burner for a while. Will be handy for the 50L batches.

Cheers.

You'll wonder why you didn't do it years ago Justin. Very handy bit of kit indeed. :beerbang:

Warren -

Thank for the heads up Justin. I've just grabbed one myself :)

I went for the smaller size, but not sure if it was the size I actually need

I got the 3/8" connection. It's apparently 3/8" BSP-LH (versus your normal RH thread). This is the same fitting you'll find on the smaller 2-4kg gas bottles as far as I am aware and is the standard fitting for LPG brazing gear. Mine should arive today so I'll be experimenting with it to get a hose to fit so I'll come back with more details.

Depending where you are, it might still be cheaper and easier (less messing about) to get one from Auscrown/Gameco/G&G (out of stock) or Globe (out of stock). Being in Tassie we have to pay the Tassie tax on any item we buy from the mainland (so add $15-$20 onto everything), and given the weight of the burners it costs me nearly the same to buy it locally. That's what I'm doing today. I haven't been able to find a HP reg here in Tassie at all to go with the burner, hence my ebay purchase.

I suspect the best solution will be to get a 3/8" BSP-LH female to 1/4" BSP male adapter (Gameco have the part listed as PL29-13 :http://www.gameco.com.au/cat2000/adaptors.htm). Don't take my word on it, check to make sure but that looks to be the adapter to me.

Then you need a high pressure LPG hose with female 1/4" BSP on both ends will suit your needs. Perhaps they can provide you with a hose to fit without the adapters. you'll have to ask. I was chatting with the BBQ shop bloke on Tuesday, but will likely got straight to my favourite hose and fitting place to get the hose. I'll get a price and go for the best value. BBQ shops are usually rip offs.

There is a bit of messing round to make them work, that's why I say if you are near one of the above suppliers of the burners then just buy everything from them. But here in Tassie the selection is somewhat limited and I can build it all cheaper than buying it all from the mainland, given the prices of different places stated in my first post (ie. cheaper bits and pieces at different places, be nice if you could get all the best prices in one store).

Hope it helps. You'll have to make up your own mind on whether this is good value or not to you.

Cheers, Justin

No worries then lad.

You shouldn't have any trouble getting the adapters or what ever you sort out, just thought it might be an unnecessary step for you. They should do the job admirably.

Get a T piece, hook up the two bottles into the one line and run your burner at 120psi :super: Of couse You still end up with 60 psi, just twice the flow. :D

Hope they work out for you.

Cheers.

My reg turned up friday just gone. will head go and pick up the rest from gameco this week.

Very nice reg, being a genuine BOC model the quality is quite good.

Fired my bad boy up on the weekend for a small test run and hell yeah, it cranks and I barely even had it on.

I hooked up a low pressure LPG line because I had one there so I was very cautious about putting too much pressure in the line, I kept it very low. I only ran it at very low pressure but it absolutely eats my three ring. For comparision I hooked up my three ring and tried to run it with a bit of extra pressure from the HP reg but it wouldn't run properly and just had too much gas flow for it's design.

I don't recommend people hook up LP lines for their burner, I'm getting a HP line in the next day or so but what I can say is these regs have an excellent spread of pressure and flame control (as I'm sure all the other adjustables regs have as well). I could adjust from a mear trickle to a good roar easily and I was no where near running it at high pressure yet.

Can't wait for the new line.

Cool. Justin (still alive and not a crispy critter)

A question. How far have people mounted there burners from the bottom of their kettles? 4", 5", 6" ???

Justin.

Mine (NASA) sits at 75mm (3") from the bottom of the kettle. Seems to work fine from there.

Warren -

Thanks mate. I figured around that distance but the actual stand it came with would possition the burner around 6-8" below the bottom of the pot. So I was curious to know what position others placed theirs, especially given the size of the flames from this thing-burner position really could be anywhere from 3"-8".

Seeing as I'm fabricating another bracket to hold the burner I didn't want to have to go back and change the distance to kettle if I was miles out.

Cheers and thanks. Justin

Back