High Pressure Hose For Nasa, Questions?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Can anyone tell me what the working pressure is of the hose people have attached to their NASA?

Your normal hose to your BBQ has stamped on the side W.P (Working pressure) 2.8Mpa. Is this same hose that people have hooked to their NASA or do they use a special high pressure hose? I suspect this is the same hose and not a special "high pressure" hose at all.

I have run into endless hurdles trying to find a "high pressure" LPG hose that everyone refers to on this forum to go with their NASA, no one in BBQ or Gas industry seem to know what I'm talking about or stock a suitable hose.

This is probably my own fault for over looking this due to the closeness of the numbers involved, but your BBQ reulator puts out around 2.6kPa (kilopascals)-BUT the standard hose on this regulator is rated to 2.8MPA (mega pascals). I missed the kPA to mPA stamped on the side and thought the hose actually read 2.8kPA.

I have just ordered the hose from Gameco moments ago but I think I only just worked out that they are the bloody same hose you can buy anywhere. Arg!!!

Anyone care to shed the light on my frustration. I'm no so bothered because I got a 2m hose which is about half the price of what I have found here for a hose of that length but I just thought I'd clear this up for those other people that are going to be looking for hoses and fittings for their burners.

Cheers, Justin

The hose from Grain and Grape has stamped on it
6 mm LP Gas AS 1869C W P 2.6 MPa

Same hose

or give globe imports a ring in sa they might be able to tell u as they sell em

Does the NASA hose kit come with a Reg. If so what is the reg output? If the kit does not have a shut off valve at the burner then the hose would be LP and the rating would not matter.

Screwtop, NASA regs are anywhere from about 15psi to 60psi. Most in the 0-40psi range.

Thanks for those numbers Guest Lurker, you confirmed my suspicion. That is your standard LP gas hose (2.6MPa). I must have picked up and got confused from the NASA posts here that you needed a "special" high pressure gas hose to go with the burners when the discussion of braided hoses over rubber hoses was going on and Chillers leaking hose incident. I assumed because people were buying different hoses they were buying special ones rated for the task.

So for those that will be looking for a NASA burner and won't be buying the whole lot from Gameco or Globe or G&G, you can just use your standard BBQ LP gas hose (obviously without the low pressure reg, just buy a straight hose with the correct fittings on the ends-don't use hose barb fittings).

It's interesting that neither BBQ's Galore, BOC, Enzed or the other welding supply placed I tried picked up on the fact that all I needed was a standard LP gas hose. I showed them my burner and my reg, told them the pressures involved but not one of them did the calculations to realise that 2.6MPa will suffice. Everyone said-nah we don't stock any LPG hoses to handle those pressures. Interesting.

Oh well, my hose should arrive in the next few days and I'll be in buisness with confidence.

Cheers and thanks GL.

Cheers, Justin

Justin.

Just wondering. Have you contemplated hard-piping the burner like the Yanks do with the threaded galv. pipe? Might be a nicer option.

Warren -

Yeah, I was going to do it with copper but I still need a flexible hose at some point to connect to the reg and bottle. Plus I'm only running one burners so it's not like there are flexible gas hoses running everywhere. Those Yanks certainly make the hard plumbing look nice when they are running three burners.

I'll give it a test run when mounted on the frame and with a kettle above it and have a feel of the heat generated towards the rubber line with my heat shields in place. After having a play with the burner I don't think it will be an issue, but I might still make a copper stand off pipe.

I think I did read somewhere that copper and propane react together, don't know if that's true or not but that is why a lot of people use galv pipe instead of copper.

I think the flexible line will do me for a while anyway. I've got a 2m line coming so I can sort of semi hard plumb it anyway by running it down through the frame and then mounting my bottle directly onto the frame at the opposite end of the burner. No doubt I'll play with the plumbing again down the track.

Cheers, Justin

Back