High Pressure Burner Or 3 Ring

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfella

Reaction score
I picked up a high pressure burner and reg today. I only got it because it was dirt cheap.
I only really wanted the high pressure regulator to use on my 3 ring. I thought I would give the new burner a go but I'm having trouble getting the flame right. If I turn the gas up even with the adjustable reg turned down low The flame starts jumping around and going out. Even if I try and adjust the air intake it is still not right..

I was wondering if any one could tell me how to set it up correctly or if I should even bother and just use the regulator on my 3 ring burner.

Are any of you guys using a high pressure regulator on a normal 3 or 4 burner?

I'm in a bit of a dilemma if anyone can give me some advise I would much appreciate it.

burner.JPG

i am. On a four ring. I now if i only have one of the rings on, or even two and have the gas going full bore. It jumps around aswell! Sorry cant help but maybe you just have to much gas going in?

same burner as well except mine is four ring.

Your posting pics as i'm replying :)

Wedge / Bigfella

Whereabouts, how much for the regulator?

BF... sorry I can't help with your problem.

Cheers
Steve

I got mine from a shop at Norwood for $100ish all up. It was about 80 for the burner and then another 30 for the reg.

I wasnt going to get the hp reg. But the fella in the shop showed me the difference and oh my god.............

I think it was on beula rd or something. Ring Dave and goliaths. He was the one who recommeded me to this place.

I think that Garganas on South rd may also have them?

Thanks Wedge. It was probably Maxbilt at Norwood but I'll check with Dave tomorrow.
I've been meaning to get to Garganas... just another excuse. SWMBO will be happy I'm sure.

Regards
Steve

i 've never been there but my mother goes there a bit to buy in bulk and tells me all the H/brew stuff i buy is there and a lot cheaper. Might be worth a look

Another excellent place in Adelaide is Globe Imports on Magill road. They have burners on special at present from $15.00. Mine is a single ring with about 130 burner holes, I have them on a hp regulator and bring cold tap water [45litres] to a massive boil in about 40 minutes.

Steve

I got mine from rays camping they had a 20% off sale today I got the burner stand and reg for $63. Cheap I thought.

Still no one has told me if htey think I sould use the new nurner or the old 3 ring
I am easly influenced you know.

Bigfella, if its working right there should be no flame jumping around stuff happening. When I fire mine up I just get a nice roar although its a different burner and reg from the ones in the pics.

i find that i wont get a good flame on my 3ring when its under the keg, because it was sitting to low and not getting enough airflow i raised the kegs and the burner so there was air getting around it and its much better now.

not sure if thats of any help

Bigfella,

I don't know for sure but the burner giving you trouble may be made to run on town gas not LPG. Then again you may have a different setup in Crowland compared to WA. B)

cheers nm

Big fella,
Metters is probably correct.
the jet for LPG is a different size to the one needed for town gas.
If that is not the case then it is either the air supply at the tap giving too much air or the regulator is set too high.
I have got the same regulator as you and it is running a three ring and a four ring burner on my set up.
When I am only using the three ring burner on its own I turn the regulator down a bit and when the two are going I crank it up.
If you have got a low pressure regulator then hook it up on the burner you got cheap and try it out. If it works OK then that is probably why you got it dirt cheap cause they couldnt get it working.
I have got a two ring burner that I use for boiling wort for yeast starters etc and it wont work to well on the high pressure regulator so I just use a low pressure one.
Sorry for rambling on a bit,
Cheers

Big Beer Belly said:
I have got the same regulator as you and it is running a three ring and a four ring burner on my set up.
When I am only using the three ring burner on its own I turn the regulator down a bit and when the two are going I crank it up.
If you have got a low pressure regulator then hook it up on the burner you got cheap and try it out. If it works OK then that is probably why you got it dirt cheap cause they couldnt get it working.
Rambling is good!
I got the unit brand new I rang rays camping where I got it from they told me bring it back they will have a look.

Just out of interest what do you have the reg set to on you 3 ring burner.

Big Fella,
When I am using the three ringer on its own I have it set around on third from low and when I am using the four ringer or both I have it turned up to just over half way.
When I tried to use it on the two ringer it gave too much gas even on low and it caused the flame to jump up off the burner.
Hope this helps,
Cheers

Big Fella

Have you got your burner sorted out yet?

Cheers
MAH

Latest posts

Back