High gravity brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I think you termed 'vitality'.

Fresh yeast, oxygenate only at the beginning and don't ferment stupidly hot. Add when you see activity (rising bubbles, krausen, etc).

Take a sample of the beer say about 250mL tip in a whole packet of dry yeast (one of the cheap ones that comes with a kit) measure the gravity after 24 hours.
If its a yeast problem, the gravity will have gone down.
If its a Wort fermentability problem, SG wont change (your screwed), well dry enzyme might help.
Mark

Take a sample of the beer say about 250mL tip in a whole packet of dry yeast (one of the cheap ones that comes with a kit) measure the gravity after 24 hours.
If its a yeast problem, the gravity will have gone down.
If its a Wort fermentability problem, SG wont change (your screwed), well dry enzyme might help.
Mark
Have just tried this with some coopers dry yeast (probably a few years old so hopefully ok) . Is it worth watering the sample down a bit to lower the abv?

You're trying to ascertain what current wort fermentability potential is.

Ok, I didn't water it down, and I don't know why I thought I should. The sample has dropped 10 points overnight, so I'm guessing it is just a yeast stall issue. I'll build a new starter of the Zurich yeast up and pitch it in when it is fully active. My only concern with this is that, because it is a small 12l batch, wouldn't adding 1 or more litres of starter wort (extract) make a noticeable change to the final beer? If I chill and decant the starter, will the yeast be less useful? Not sure how to proceed here...

cheat a little, bring up to 2l starter size let that run it's course decant and add 500ml 1040ish when that kicks tip the lot in.

Back