High Gravity Brew.com brewing Systems

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gravity.. u need to drink my beers to feel that !! LOL

I looked at that vid a long time ago before i goty biab setup. I think with a bot of research you could build a very similar system for under $1200. Depends if you like diy or not. Looks pretty good though.

I have only brewed extract beers (coopers) added hops and malts and temp controlled fermenting in winter.
I recently purchased a 450 litre fridge only fridge that can fit two fermenters in and is controlled by an stc1000. Just to hard during summer to brew any other way.

This setup looks like an easy way for me to step in to grains. Not to many parts easy to clean.
The hardest part of the Diy would be the pid temp and variable voltage controller to run the heater element and pump.

Would this setup convert efficiently compered with normal biab setups.
This system is a basic closed loop. All the water for mash, sparge, Evap and grain absorbtion is placed in from the start and then just Strike the temps required.

The description says that you will need a 30 amp outlet for the 4500w element. Most domestic premises dont have this unless you have a big air con and can tap into that circuit or have a dedicated circuit installed.

The other thing in the description is the Chugger is 110 volt;
As quoted,

Includes Chugger SS Pump rated at 250º F for very hot liquids. With magnetic drive, 110V motor, 6 ft cord and molded plug.

Both items of detail may be a problem.

If I used a locally sourced pump 240 volt hot chugger. That would plug straight in the wall.
I could use a heater element 2400 watt on a variable controller and temp regulator.
On a seperate power feed run another 2400 watt to strike temp or continuous boil. So two elements in total. Independent from each other.
This could keep power to 10 amp
Would an Stc 1000 10 amp run a 2400 watt element or would you need a PID and SSR ?

Oh I see, you are considering the pots and hardware but not buying the full kit.

Yes you could use a fixed 2400w element and an over the side element from another separate power source if you wanted.
A 240v Chugger is easily available.

An STC 1000 would work but will overshoot temps unless you are standing by to adjust.
I had a 3 v that had similar controllers and I used to set a little low and then make final adjustments as the temp got close..it does work, be it a bit clumsy. A PID is a much better option. A ramp soak unit is best.

I replaced my 3v with a Braumeister and have never looked back.
Fully controlable, walk away and do something else while step mashing. overnite mashing, no hoses and tricky bits to leak, very easy and quick to clean, repeatability with recipes, full support from manufacturer.......downside, A bit more expensive.
If I added up what I spent on my 3v brewing rig I could have bought two Braumeisters.
Apology for me adding my personal thoughts and observations but it is what I experienced.

Good luck with your project.

They seem to say on their website they can custom build non-US controllers so may be able to set it up to run a 240v chugger?

Cheers Dicko , yes the braumeister does look like a winner but at $3600.00 is a bit pricey for me.
I was hoping to use local electrics in case of damage / redundancy and purchase the vessel ,basket and lid of ebay. Some s/s fittings hose and pump, PID and relay for under $800.00

I use a stc1000 on my herms and ive only ever seen it overshoot 0.5°at the most when ramping but when settles usually after 2or 3 on/off cycles it only swings 0.3-0.4°each way.
On the hlt it swings abit more like around 0.7° either side of the set point. But that's not enough to worry me as I only batch sparge and if the temp is out when sparging the herms looks after it when recirculating.
Using an stc is possible if using a 2400watt element or less. As there only rated for 10amps.
Personally I'd buy a grainfather over the product your looking at if you want a plug and play system.

TwoCrows said:
Cheers Dicko , yes the braumeister does look like a winner but at $3600.00 is a bit pricey for me.
I was hoping to use local electrics in case of damage / redundancy and purchase the vessel ,basket and lid of ebay. Some s/s fittings hose and pump, PID and relay for under $800.00
Yep they are fairly pricey.
I tend to agree with Kingy as far as the cost goes and if are using an STC 1000 you would need a good relay to run that big element.

There has been some great Braumeister clones built recently and some detail is on this forum with a bit of a search.

Latest posts

Back