High Gravity Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai

Fermentation Assistant
Reaction score
I'm sitting here on the fourth stubby of my Russian Imperial Stout and wondering why I don't brew such beer more often. It's like a beer plus a beer multiplied by beer, divided by half a beer.

It's the only high gravity beer i've brewed so far, weighing in at 9.8% and an OG of 1.092. Which brought me to wonder, are any of you other folks regular high gravity brewers?

And, if so, what are your strategies? The obvious ones for me were 1) big starter, 2) aerate well and 3) keep the finishing body low.

I think big beers are a wonderful (and easy!) way of introducing amazing flavours, but sadly they must only be imbibed on special occasions, lest my liver pack up and leave.

Kai said:
I'm sitting here on the fourth stubby of my Russian Imperial Stout and wondering why I don't brew such beer more often. It's like a beer plus a beer multiplied by beer, divided by half a beer.
[post="83224"][/post]​

Drinking beer? aren't you meant to be on the books?

Kai said:
And, if so, what are your strategies? The obvious ones for me were 1) big starter, 2) aerate well and 3) keep the finishing body low.
[post="83224"][/post]​

Keep away from any barley wine tips from the 'master...'

Kai said:
I think big beers are a wonderful (and easy!) way of introducing amazing flavours, but sadly they must only be imbibed on special occasions, lest my liver pack up and leave.
[post="83224"][/post]​

runner up in the paddle adds some lovely looking stripes to your flocc uniform kai. :party: how you gunna sew them on after all that imperial stout you have imbided on? :beer:

Kai I just brewed my first "big" beer recently, a Belgian Tripel. It is a little bit over at 11.5%. It is nice now but tastes a little green.

I did have some trouble during fermentation (mostly with patience) but it ended up attenuating very well.

belgian01b.png

Back