High FG After Trying a Protein Rest

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Econwatson

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Thought I'd give a stout a go so I decided on the highly acclaimed Three Shades of Stout: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/recipe/304-three-shades-of-stout/ I try and do something new every time I brew so this time I attempted a protein rest (20 mins at 55c) before ramping up to 67 and performing a 60 minute mash.

Anyway, because I couldn't get the right yeast I didn't pitch until a couple of days later (I used Windsor since I couldn't get US 56 or Wyeast 1338 and it was recommended), I forgot to check the OG, really dumb I know!

It's been 11 days since pitching and the FG is remaining constant at 1.022, much higher than the 1.012 indicated on the recipe

Do you think I messed the mash up? I checked my temperatures after the protein rest and sacc rest and they hadn't dropped more than a degree or so. I'm guessing it's the protein rest that I must have stuffed. I know it's hard to tell given I forgot to take the OG, but I'd really appreciate any insight you could give me or suggestions if I attempt a protein rest again! It looks like it would come out at a piddly 3.6% ABV after carbonation, is there no way of increasing the ABV without affecting taste? It tastes fantastic right now but obviously lacking body because of the high FG!

Thanks very much guys!

1. What amount of cara/crystal/dextrinous malt as a percentage in the grist bill.
2. Maybe underpitched (need to know the OG to determine pitching rate).
2. Windsor is a notoriously low attenuator.

Probably done!

Screwy

Just a quick question / note. Body will be apparently more with a high finishing gravity, not thinner. Finishing higher can mean you mashed higher too. How confident are you that your 67 is spot on?
FWIW - I usually do a 5 min rest at 55 then mash at 64. This never stops me getting down to 1012 - 1016, depending on O.G. so it wont be the P-rest stuffing it up.
If your temps are good, then look at that yeast. Screwtop covers it.

I did actually look at the pack. Can't remember what it said exactly but it said something like it would only ferment 11 litres of wort. Just remembered thinking about it now. I just associate one sachet of yeast with one fermentation, very dumb of me! So perhaps my protein rest went ok! Would it be worth pitching another sachet? I'm guessing I'd have to wait another 2 weeks until I could bottle.

Thanks for the info on body mckenry, I was looking through Palmer's book and must have got my terms wrong. I think my 67C measurement was accurate! It tastes great whatever happens!

For a start ABV isn't everything. I'd rather drink a 3.5% well made stout than an 8% one that is badly made. That being said, you do seem to be under attenuated.

How were your fermentation temps?

Yeast is also a likely culprit (without seeing recipe), especially if your gravity was above 1060.

You could re-pitch but it isn't ideal as the yeast need O2 in the initial stages of fermentation, and aerating at this stage is a bad idea. They won't be as affective if you chuck them in a half fermented wort.

I'd try and raise your temp to about 20 and give it a bit more time.

JD

Thanks mate! I might just leave it and put it down to experience to read the yeast sachets more carefully in the future. The taste is the main thing I guess! I'll just tell people it's 6% and let their imagination do the rest.

I didn't want to make a new thread to ask about this but I want to bulk prime this stout since the carb drops will give too much carbonation for this style of beer. I've been doing some reading and the desired volumes of CO2 seems to be about 1.6-2.0. Will white sugar suffice for carbonation? I used a calculator and it recommended using about 90g of sugar, does that seem reasonable?

I've also been thinking about a vessel to bulk prime in. Would my Crown urn be suitable since I don't have a bottling bucket?

Thanks once again!

You're measuring gravity with a hydrometer? Reading on a phone so sorry if I missed it.
I find roast malts in large amounts add to fg so all factors together (mash temp etc) and she could be done. Do a fast ferment test and next time reduce the 55 rest to 5 mins.
Rest has nothing to do with fg - just that a rest in the mid 50s doesn't benefit from exceeding 10 minutes with most modern malts.

Yeah I measured it using a hydrometer, I'll be sure to adjust my mash schedule next time, thanks!

What do you think in regards to carbonation? Would 90g of sugar suffice? I have not bulk primed before so I'm unsure about ingredients to use, it seems we use different priming ingredients to the states!

Latest posts

Back