High abv carbonating

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecast

Eat, drink...and drink some more.
Reaction score
Hello all!
Recently brewed and IRS which was aged in a whisky barrel and then kegged. It's been in the keg for about two months now and carbonation seems to have stalled. It initially came on very slowly and then plateaued at a lower then expected level. Enough so that the other keg in the same fridge and coming off the same regulator has noticeably more carbonation. Even beer dispensing line is basically equivalent.
My question is this: is there any science behind the absorption on CO2 into high abv beers? My guess is that high abv inhibits the ability of the beer to absorb CO2. So this beer will never get fully carbed until I do something different.
Thoughts?

With my limited knowledge and experience, and being a mathematician instead of a chemist, my guess is not only is it the high abv, but also partly the high FG. The other side of the equation is that it not only effects the CO2 absorption, but also its release.

What about the new Lallemand/Danstar CBC-1 dry yeast, for cask & bottle carbonating. I think one of the retailers on here just mentioned they had it in stock now. Could you carb in the keg & then just get to serving pressure? No idea, No affiliation etc.

What's your carbonation process and abv with this beer? High abv environment can be toxic to yeast which can slow/stall natural priming but I'm not aware of any inhibition of co2 uptake itself. Me not being aware doesn't mean it doesn't exist but I have successfully bottle carbed 11-12% beer and kegged beer around 9% abv so might be something else going on with yours.

We know that oxygen is less soluble in high gravity wort so I don't think we should be surprised that this would also apply to CO2 and finished beer with a high SG. The more dissolved solutes the harder it is for the gas to dissolve. However I believe that CO2 is more soluble in ethanol than water. So I am not sure what the net result would be, but there may some merit in what the OP is suggesting. I would disconnect the other keg and increase the reg pressure until you are happy with the carbonation of the RIS. Please tell me you are going to bottle this and not drink pints from the keg? :blink:

Haha, yes BnT, eventually I will bottle but want to know what Im getting into as far as how to carb/bottle so I can age it with confidence.

Back