Hi, ginger beer concern

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Extra Pale Male

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
First time poster here. I have put down my first ginger beer (morgans) and read the SG when first going in at 1020. It has now been three days and the reading is at 1000. I am thinking that this is too quick for me to get that reading and there has been a problem in the fermentation process.
Has anyone had this experience or advice?

Cheers

I've made a couple of ginger beers, never a kit but my start OG has been around that figure. You might find the OG goes even lower depending on the yeast. First one I did I used Champagne yeast and that was superdry, had to artificially sweeten. Subsequent have used some Kveik yeast and we all know that is fast. I did add plenty of nutrient as didn't think there was much real food with raw ginger, sugar and lemon juice.
One other thing as it was a kit it did get a really good stir at the beginning sometimes the heavier sugars still sink and form a dense layer in the bottom. This can happen with wine kits I believe? Might be worth a gentle stir in case the sugary syrup is near the bottom.
Recheck 24 hours and if stable you're good to go to your next stage.

Duncbrewer I have a quick question this is my 3rd ginger beer kit, The first one I stirred before bottling and had a lot of sediment in the bottle. The second one I didn't stir and had little sediment but not much carbonation. What is the correct procedure in your opinion.

Back