Hi from The Sunshine Coast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickJ

Reaction score
Started brewing again about 2 years ago with cans, than moved on to Extract. After 20 brews steeping the grains it's time to move onto all grain brews. So the new Grainfather is waiting for it's first job................

All my brews have been bottled so far but with a few books on UK ales I am keen to do some Dark Milds
and try hand pump or gravity cask..............

So will be asking a few Questions soon........

Hope the avatar of the hand pump ale from NZ is OK

Michael

Hi Michael

If you are into hand pump and gravity cask the cubes commonly used for no chill and fresh wort kits also make great casks. You just need to pop the tap apart and lube it so it doesn’t leak under pressure if you prime the cube.

Here is an old thread with pics and info on cube casks https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/carbing-conditioning-in-a-cube-before-keg.70056/.

As you’ll see the idea did take a bit of flack at the time but is widely accepted and used these days.

Hi Michael

If you are into hand pump and gravity cask the cubes commonly used for no chill and fresh wort kits also make great casks. You just need to pop the tap apart and lube it so it doesn’t leak under pressure if you prime the cube.

Here is an old thread with pics and info on cube casks https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/carbing-conditioning-in-a-cube-before-keg.70056/.

As you’ll see the idea did take a bit of flack at the time but is widely accepted and used these days.

Had a look at that thread on using the cubes but what I am starting to look at is.................
Using my 23 litre glass demijohn or a 19 litre keg with ball valves,draft beer faucet and some other fittings.......
To set up Real Ale Cask with a Co2 cask breather or aspirator.......
This is all after a house sit we did in Christchurch with The Laboratory just down the road serving Hand Pump Ales...
Will be looking for threads on this or start one............

Back